Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help!!! Warped Heads! What can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!!! Warped Heads! What can I do?

K, long story short I have warped heads, and they need to be either replaced or milled. There's 130k on this motor though however as well.
BUT I do not have a ton of money to spend, (20 years old, on my own hehe) and I NEED this car running as it's my only car hehe.
Also, I have an STS kit I plan on running.....
SO, these are the options I've come up with.

A) pull the motor, do a small rebuild, rework my heads, new bearings, and maybe a boost cam. That way I'll be able to freshen up my 130k motor to like new.
B) Pull the heads while the engine's still in the car, and then rework them or get new heads and replace them.

so a would be ideal, however very expensive compared to B. I've heard shops charge as much as 1500$ just to pull and put in the engine!!!! I really cant do that right now on my funds....

thanks for any advice
Old 06-21-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd just pull the heads and replace them with a budget head from texas speed or similar. Are you sure the deck surface will be straight? How did the heads get warped?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your mechanically inclined with some tools doing it yourself will save a lot of money. I would definately redo the motor with forged rods and pistons before adding a turbo. Might want to pick up some 01+ 6.0L heads also. A 130k engine is going to be a problem with a turbo.