Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can we use CSA instead of Port Volume?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can we use CSA instead of Port Volume?

LS heads now include multiple variations of intake port entrances and different chambers and valve angles. All of this makes port volume comparisons less useful. However, the cross sectional area is still the determining factor on velocity (other than the quality of the port shape itself).

Since we have representatives of ET, AFR, Trick Flow (at least a surrogate), Dart, World, and Patriot and numberous porters on this forum, can we start listing the CSAs? I'm sure ET, AFR, TF, TEA, Dart, and World have these numbers for all their heads.

It would be a new and better way...and it could start here!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
LS heads now include multiple variations of intake port entrances and different chambers and valve angles. All of this makes port volume comparisons less useful. However, the cross sectional area is still the determining factor on velocity (other than the quality of the port shape itself).

Since we have representatives of ET, AFR, Trick Flow (at least a surrogate), Dart, World, and Patriot and numberous porters on this forum, can we start listing the CSAs? I'm sure ET, AFR, TF, TEA, Dart, and World have these numbers for all their heads.

It would be a new and better way...and it could start here!!!
I would assume that the smallest actual cross section is the valve seat itself.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good idea, but much more difficult to accurately measure. A few of the sponsors you mention can access that info but for the majority of the rest of the heads that info would be unavailable. If the head is a true bolt on design (a ported factory casting or a head that copies that geometry) most of the inlet sizes and shapes are very similar and the valve size is usually known. Whats left in question is the rest of the runner and a simple way of comparing cross section at that point would obviously be volume. But I agree...trying to analyze cross-sectional area when comparing heads with different "architecture" or layout is not as much a slam dunk when comparing runner volumes (but they would still get you in the ballpark if the volumes were sizable differences).

Tony M.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony, you could be the first!!! My guess is your 205 is similar to 215 and 225s with less valve angle.