Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heavy ticking noise.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default heavy ticking noise.....

ok i dont think this is piston slap anymore....i mean its not constant, it does go away here and there after driving the car for a little bit but everytime i start it up even if it was off for a few minutes the ticking comes back. considering i have the loudmouth exhaust and i can hear the noise from inside the car i dont think it is just piston slap. its not as bad as some sound clips ive heard where the noise sounds like a diesel engine but it is VERY noticeable. when on a cold start, it doesnt start making the noise till the rpms drop when it hits about 100*. then when i drive while it is still warming to opp temp i can here it as i drive and when i let the clutch in (neutral) to drop the rpms i can hear the ticking decellerate with the motor rpms.... what could this be? the car only has 31k miles now and is an 02, i bought it with 25k and it had this ticking then too. i assume the car was beaten before i bought it because the T56 main input shaft and a few other things in there broke on me after the 3rd day of ownership when i was still babying the car...loooong story . anyways, anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?
Old 06-22-2006, 07:02 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You pull the valve covers? That would be a good way to identify a broken spring or a rocker that took a dump on you or you can take the rockers off and check the PR's as well. From there it just goes deeper into the bottom end of the car. You will eventuall y end up pulling the heads and checking the valves to see if they are bent, followed by checking the lifters and checking the cam/lobes. After that the oil pan comes out and you are taking rod bolts out and checking bearings.....and going and going.

So it can be a number of things including bigtime piston slap. Just a heads up in case your problems grow.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it were heavy piston slap would i show signs of burning oil? i know ls1s tend to do so but mine does not do it at all
Old 06-22-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like what my car is doing. You probably have a lifter that is collapsing and bleeding down every once in a while...causing the tick.

thats what mine was.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2002 with 34k is the same......20 sek after cold start it starts slapping and after i while it almost goes away, if i give it some gas it almost goes away but if i let it idle i dosent go away. And if i restart the car when its warm the slap comes back........ The car runs strong and burns some oil, but not much.....