Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plumes of white smoke.... what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Plumes of white smoke.... what could it be?

Yesterday a buddy and I were out in my T/A (408 H/C) logging data with HPTuners. At one point I had it 2nd gear (A4 3.23 gear) and ran it up through the RPM range to approx 5800rpm. Came back down to around 4k, then back up to 6k or so again. Neither of these times were WOT. At any rate, the 2nd time I looked in my rear view mirror to see plumes of white smoke barreling out of the tailpipes. So I immediately pull to the side of the road. Pop the hood. The dipstick tube had been pushed up and out approx 2-3" and oil was sprayed on the passenger side of the motor. At this point I decided to call a tow truck. While waiting I started the car again. It was a bit rough, but once idling, here came the white smoke again. Didn't leave it running more than 10 seconds at this point.... decided to call it a day.

Got it home and pulled all the plugs. None of them show anything in particular. They're all very rich but that's it. My coolant level is right at the top of the radiator cap like always. There's no sludge inside the oil filler cap. The dipstick shows nothing out of the ordinary. Oil level is still well within operating range. Where do I go from here? Looking for input.

Sorry this is so long winded... but I'm wound up.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Could you have a head gasket leak where the oil is getting into the hot headers or manifold.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Teching In

At this point anything is possible. I'm hoping it's as "simple" as a head gasket. Be nice if it was nothing at all - and just a fluke. But the chances of that are slim w/ my luck. Guess I am going to start pulling the top end apart to see what I can find.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Usually when it comes to smoke:

White means coolant

Blue means oil

Black means fuel

So I'd check first with anything that might be a sign of a bad headgasket/coolant leak. Dont overlook the obvious either, as many people tend to do that.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Well, I ran home on my lunch hour to take a closer look. Pulled the TB off and it had a small amount of oil puddled in it. The inside of the intake has a very thin film in it as well. So I'm thinking all the excess crankcase pressure vented.... right into the TB via the PCV system. So... now...... whew...... time to do more looking into it though.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do a compression and leak down test too. White smoke is uaually a head gasket issue.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

yeah oil would be blue smoke.. not white. And if it was just oil dripping on the header the smoke would be coming out from under the hood when stopped, not the tail pipes.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

..........blown head gasket...........
Old 06-26-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

If it pushed the dipstick out and sprayed oil then it might be a bad ring. You should do a compression and leakdown test for sure. If you have a blown head gasket you should be getting air bubbles in the radiator. Make sure you turn it over with the spark plugs out to make sure no coolant has leaked into the cylinders (prevent hydrolock). Then put the plugs in, remove the radiator cap and dip stick. Start the engine and quickly check the radiator for air bubbles. If no air bubbles go and put your finger on the dip stick and see if there is air coming through there. If you have smoke or air from the dip stick you prob have a busted ring or a hole in one of the pistons. It could also be a bent valve or bad valve seal, but I think it's the rings.

Last edited by DaleMX; 06-26-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Will definitely be doing a compression & leakdown test in the coming days.

I will start 'er up and check the radiator for air bubbles though. Along with the dipstick. Thank you for the tip, Dale!