Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent pushrods=Bent valves???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pushrods = cheap and easy, valves are more expensive and require a ton of labor.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blue99SS
I bent my pushrods a while back, had them replaced and the motor runs smooth and feels fine. Just talked to my buddy's mechanic and he said that if I bent to pushrods then the valves are probably bent too and that you can really only tell on a leakdown test.
The mechanic is correct. Many engines seem to run fine with only slightly bent valves, but it's not a good idea. Anytime there is piston to valve contact while running, there is increased chance of valve failure.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by white2001s10
The mechanic is correct. Many engines seem to run fine with only slightly bent valves, but it's not a good idea. Anytime there is piston to valve contact while running, there is increased chance of valve failure.
So your saying that everytime a stock pushrod gets bent so do the valve/'s? The car runs smooth, has good oil pressure and sounds good. If the valves were even just slightly bent wouldn't the car at least sound a little "off"? Also, my car is in the shop as we speak having spray and full exhaust put on and I asked my mechanic (who replaced the p'rod's) and he said the valves were fine. Any more input? I've done some searches and this subject seems to be about 50/50, some guys say bent valves while others say the (stock)p'rods are made to be the weak link and break/bend first.

Last edited by blue99SS; 07-18-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:20 AM
Banned

From the several cars with the exact same situation as yours I have repaired....if you have no reason to believe there is a problem with a bent valve, then dont go overboard assuming it is.

Only bent valve ls1's from PtV contact have had chromemoly pushrods in them that i have fixed...
Old 07-19-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So your saying that everytime a stock pushrod gets bent so do the valve/'s? The car runs smooth, has good oil pressure and sounds good. If the valves were even just slightly bent wouldn't the car at least sound a little "off"? Also, my car is in the shop as we speak having spray and full exhaust put on and I asked my mechanic (who replaced the p'rod's) and he said the valves were fine. Any more input? I've done some searches and this subject seems to be about 50/50, some guys say bent valves while others say the (stock)p'rods are made to be the weak link and break/bend first.
Like I said before, 19 out of 20 cars will bend stock pushrods before bending a valve.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

So your saying that everytime a stock pushrod gets bent so do the valve/'s?
No, that the conditions that bend pushrods can also bend valves. Also you can have slightly bent valves that only minimally affect valvejob sealing, so the engine can run fine. Slightly bent valves tend to distort the seat in the head, and can also fatigue much faster and fail sooner. This doesn't happen to most people, but it's a possibility.

Quick Reply: Bent pushrods=Bent valves???