Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3L, LS6, ls1 heads questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3L, LS6, ls1 heads questions

newbie here and i was just wondering what the difference between these types of heads are and what the benefits to each are. i searched and i didn't really find any descriptions to set them apart, at least to my minimal knowledge . are the metal compositions different (aluminum,iron)? do they have specific combustion chamber sizes? i have been looking to buys a set of heads and prob a cam to go with them but don't know very much about how to reads and understand cam and head specs. i've been leaning towards the patriot LS6 style heads because they seem like good bang for the buck. does anyone have a link to a website where i can learn up on this stuff? i've read a little bit on cams in a chevy hi perf magazine but it still don't have a full understanding. anyways my goal is about 400-450 horse, 400-500ft-lbs on a 98 ls1 auto without having to drop the motor because this car is my daily driver and i need it monday through friday until i get myself another daily driver. i currently have pacesetter LT's, a TSP true duals system, an slp lid, K&N filter, racetronix plug and play fuel system upgarde kit, HP tuners Pro coming soon, and about all the free mods possible (airbox cutting, egr tube trim, fernco hose smooth bellows, removed MAF screen, ported throttle body coming soon). I believe that this is some decent groundwork (if not please make suggestions) minus the injectors that i may eventually need if i make enough power. thanks in advance for any and all help
Old 07-18-2006, 01:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

All these heads are Alum.
Untill about a year ago the 4.8/5.3L casting was a good choice for ported heads since they have small chambers and flow well.
That is because the 243 LS6 casting was so expensive. Then appeared the LS2. LS2 has 243 casting (same as LS6), but with full stainless valves instead of light sodium filled.
That made the 243 casting affordable and now the 243 casting is the choice to get.

Being an auto, your HP/TRQ targets will be more in the range of 420 rwhp and 390 rwtrq if you put the right combo together.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:49 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z

Being an auto, your HP/TRQ targets will be more in the range of 420 rwhp and 390 rwtrq if you put the right combo together.
Respectably. Plus you can get that LS6 243 combo for right at a grand fully assembled.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright, so what kind of head/cam combo do you guys suggest? the patriot stage II heads are on sale right now for about 1 grand right now, are they worth the money?