Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 awaiting installation....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 awaiting installation....

I bought my LS1 engine a couple of weeks ago and now it sits in my garage. It will be there for the next 4-6 months before installation. Doing a off body restore of a 76' corvette. What or is there anything I need to do to keep the insides in good shape?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Teching In

anyone.....
Old 07-19-2006, 04:51 AM
12 Second Club

Take the injectors out and put them in a jar or a can with a lid filled with just enough (75% fuel/25% fuel stabilizer) to cover the injectors and store in a cool spot "for obvious reasons" . Plug the holes in the intake after spraying some lube ("WD-40" or any good spray lube that sprayes in a mist.) in the intake. Also spray some through the TB then cap it off "a 4" rubber PVC cap off from Home Depot works good". Do the same in the spark plug holes "leave the plugs out for now" and the PCV/breather system. It might also be a good idea "if the engine is used" to drain the oil, and flush the pan out with some ATF "high deturgents, and won't dry out seals and gaskets like motor flush a.k.a.desiel fuel". Then put a new oil fillter on, add 3-4 quarts of your favorite oil "I recomend synthetic (won't turn acidic)", then prime the oiling system by turning the engine over "I've heard that one could use the starter and some jumper cables to make this easier and more efective". If you want a little more safe guard you can add a bottle of GM or ford assimbly lube, or if you feel like splurging a little try Royal Purple "Max Guard" assimbly lube "It's like $15-16 for a bottle", "but ummm.... how much did you pay for that motor?" "Insurance is cheap." Reinstall the spark plugs when you are done, check for and cover or plug any open holes (block, heads, intake fuel lines...) this includes the exhaust ports (tape, plugs of some discription , you know; what ever works" and cover it with a large bag "landscape clean up bags at Home Depot" "hint hint" (it is better to have it on an engine stand so you can get the bag under the pan). Tape the bag shut "with some paper towels in the bag for moituer if you want" and there; your LS1 is safe from just about anything short of a flood, earth quake, or nucular war. There is more you can do but isn't really necicary given the short time it will be in storage. Good luck and take lots of pictures of the car "when you get to it" as it progreses and post them up, it sounds like a cool project. I'm about to start an LS1 swap on a 3rd gen camaro at the shop I work at some time in the near future. I'll be posting pics and vids of the whole swap, including fab. work (coustom built headers, ect.) as I go..... "and when I have time".LOL

James a.k.a. Poo Bear
Lethal Performance
mechanic/fabricator

P.S. I can't spell, I need spell check! LOL
Old 07-19-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

IMO (and I've done this before) is just put the motor in a plastic bag and vaccum seal it. It will stay fresh like the day you put it in.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by frated420
Take the injectors out and put them in a jar or a can with a lid filled with just enough (75% fuel/25% fuel stabilizer) to cover the injectors and store in a cool spot "for obvious reasons" . Plug the holes in the intake after spraying some lube ("WD-40" or any good spray lube that sprayes in a mist.) in the intake. Also spray some through the TB then cap it off "a 4" rubber PVC cap off from Home Depot works good". Do the same in the spark plug holes "leave the plugs out for now" and the PCV/breather system. It might also be a good idea "if the engine is used" to drain the oil, and flush the pan out with some ATF "high deturgents, and won't dry out seals and gaskets like motor flush a.k.a.desiel fuel". Then put a new oil fillter on, add 3-4 quarts of your favorite oil "I recomend synthetic (won't turn acidic)", then prime the oiling system by turning the engine over "I've heard that one could use the starter and some jumper cables to make this easier and more efective". If you want a little more safe guard you can add a bottle of GM or ford assimbly lube, or if you feel like splurging a little try Royal Purple "Max Guard" assimbly lube "It's like $15-16 for a bottle", "but ummm.... how much did you pay for that motor?" "Insurance is cheap." Reinstall the spark plugs when you are done, check for and cover or plug any open holes (block, heads, intake fuel lines...) this includes the exhaust ports (tape, plugs of some discription , you know; what ever works" and cover it with a large bag "landscape clean up bags at Home Depot" "hint hint" (it is better to have it on an engine stand so you can get the bag under the pan). Tape the bag shut "with some paper towels in the bag for moituer if you want" and there; your LS1 is safe from just about anything short of a flood, earth quake, or nucular war. There is more you can do but isn't really necicary given the short time it will be in storage. Good luck and take lots of pictures of the car "when you get to it" as it progreses and post them up, it sounds like a cool project. I'm about to start an LS1 swap on a 3rd gen camaro at the shop I work at some time in the near future. I'll be posting pics and vids of the whole swap, including fab. work (coustom built headers, ect.) as I go..... "and when I have time".LOL

James a.k.a. Poo Bear
Lethal Performance
mechanic/fabricator

P.S. I can't spell, I need spell check! LOL
James, thanks for the input. Here's what it looks like right now...
Sorry, photo to large.