Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Rear Crank Seal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replace Rear Crank Seal?

I am doing a clutch install and noticed a very small amount of oil on the bottom lip of the rear crank seal, no where else. I believe the seal was replaced about 4K miles ago (car has 21k miles on it) while the original clutch was replaced under warranty). My questions are, should I try to replace that rear crank seal, are there special tools to remove and replace it? I would not rather do it if it is not necessary. Thanks
Old 07-21-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have the tool to install that seal perfectly, I wouldn't bother. Quite often the seal is perfect but the rear cover might be just a nano-smidgeon out of align which may make it leak a tad from the seal. Replacing the seal may not cure it at all, you may need to reseal the cover if it is really bothering you. I wouldn't touch it.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

I would look around on the clutch and if you can find any oil on the clutch I would replace the seal. if not and you don't see any all over the inside of the bellhousing or the ground I would leave.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

The only place I saw oil was on the very bottom of the seal. Like I said, very little. Other then that, it is completly dry in that area.
I went ahead and bought a seal just incase I decided to do it. I do not have the instalation tool, I was going to just tap it in place. If this is not a good idea, I better leave well enough alone.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:21 AM
TECH Regular

ttt

Quick Reply: Replace Rear Crank Seal?