Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mettalic Ticking, Misfire, after cam/heads install

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mettalic Ticking, Misfire, after cam/heads install

I bought some used ported ls1 heads with crane dual springs, and put a ms3 cam in this weeked, now im sad to say my car runs like ****, we timed it right and everything, it will run but after running awhile it ticks, but it always misfires and pops and is embarrassing almost. I dont know what it could be, i changed the pushrods aswel and also put in comp r lifters, has anyone else had this problem? valve lash maybe? It also idles very high like 1500 to 2000 rpm
Old 08-02-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

High idle could just be a vacuum hose left unattached to the manifold. Remember there is a tiny vacuum hose on the back of the intake along with the big brake booster hose and the MAP sensor. Make sure all of those are good and tight and that you torqued the manifold down correctly. As for it running like ****, could just be b/c it doesn't have a tune yet. I don't like the ticking part though. It should really be making any ticking sounds. Did you check PtoV clearance? The ms3 is a pretty large duration cam, you could have some valve to piston contact. If the ticking doesn't seem that bad, it could just be improper preload, rocker bolts not torqued correctly, a broken spring. I'd pull the valve covers and check all that out again. If the heads were milled the preload could be incorrect which would cause ticking.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

could the preload be incorrect from comp r's being installed? would this also make it idle like ****? if so would a 7.35 pushrod instead of 7.4 fix this?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh by the way, the car misfires and runs bad all the time with no power when i get into the gas, But the metallic ticking noise is only there when the car is warmed up.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, to begin with, Comp R's are just a complete pain in the ***. Your best bet would have been to go with the Comp OE replacements. The ticking could very much be related to those things. I'd pull the covers and check the preload warm and cold.

Quick Reply: Mettalic Ticking, Misfire, after cam/heads install