Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May have the record for oil consumption...what to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been having the same issue this summer... you could do what i did. Take the intake manifold off, and if there is oil on the back of the intake valve, then there is only once place its coming from. It would be the valve guides (assuming ur valve seals are ok)... i've dealt with this all summer, and i bought a new set of heads. They are going on this weekend - i'll let ya know how it goes... If you look back to past threads - you'll see i had the same problem... 1 quart every 200-300 miles
Old 08-08-2006, 08:30 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

As has been stated, do the leakdown test first. It is the simplest and easiest thing to do, and then you'll know if your rings are good or not. If they're shot, no need for further investigations ...
Old 08-08-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 777
My guess rear main seal. If his plugs aren't covered with oil then it most likely isn't an internal oil consumption. Look under the car and see if you see any oil by the trans or anything.
but theres not oil dripping when the car is parked, and the bottom of the car isnt coated in oil or anything....
Old 08-08-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ojustracing
Quicken Im refering to this particular car. He say's after driving the car for 5-10 miles he has oil spots on his bumper. Oil spots are from it dripping then having the air under car blow it the back of the car.

Now if it was buring it, yeah I can agree with you that it would leave a film on the back bumper not spots.

John
I have hundreds of little spots all over my bumper too, its starts at each pipe and goes up and spreads out pretty wide from each pipe, like 8 inches either side of the pipe. Goes all the way up to the flat top part of the bumper. I have no leaks externally. After a few days though, its so thick and all over that area that the spots can't be seen anymore, its just a thick even film. It takes a good liter of "Goo-Off" or alcohol to get it all clean, and maybe 20 paper towels. Its a nasty job. My paint in that area if forever ruined.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Quickin
I have hundreds of little spots all over my bumper too, its starts at each pipe and goes up and spreads out pretty wide from each pipe, like 8 inches either side of the pipe. Goes all the way up to the flat top part of the bumper. I have no leaks externally. After a few days though, its so thick and all over that area that the spots can't be seen anymore, its just a thick even film. It takes a good liter of "Goo-Off" or alcohol to get it all clean, and maybe 20 paper towels. Its a nasty job. My paint in that area if forever ruined.

I had the same symptom. Oil specs all over my bumper. NO leaks from the motor. I did a leak down and had a number of cylinder that were 12-20%. Do a leakdown test. Quit pulling at straws. It is alot cheaper and less time consuming that trying to replace valve seals, guides etc..
Old 08-09-2006, 08:01 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I guess I`ll start with a leakdown test, as there isn`t much oil underneath the car. Any other thoughts?
Old 08-09-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

let us know how the leak down goes
Old 06-03-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had that happen coming from my diff... replaced fluid and somehow the fill plug wiggled loose and atomized oil coated my fuel tank and the back of my car...
Old 06-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think my problem is internal engine. The oil for the most part is "dusty" on the bumper, which makes me think it has been burned.

Quick Reply: May have the record for oil consumption...what to do next?