Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May have the record for oil consumption...what to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default May have the record for oil consumption...what to do next?

I am stil burning about a quart of oil every 300-400 miles in my Firehawk. It is so bad that I have to buff out the rear bumper after just 5-10 miles of driving, as oil spots appear all over the bumper (it`s a white car).
I have already installed the LS-6 valley cover, and installed a catch can, which is only catching a few drops of oil. I also did a compression test, and it is right where it should be. It also runs strong, running a 13.2 @110 with just a lid. I pulled the spark plugs and, besides a bit of a lean condition, they look good with no oil on them. There is noticeable smoke under heavy acceleration.
Anyone have any ideas? The only think i can think of is the rings, but would it still pass a compression test with flying colors?
Old 08-07-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could also be your valve seals
Old 08-07-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles on your car? Maybe the valve seals are allowing some oil to seep into the combustion chambers? Then again maybe not since you have already checked the plugs and there are no traces of oil. I guess I'm just thinking out loud.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The1N_only
could also be your valve seals
That's what it sounds like.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Sorry guys. I forgot to mention, valve seals were replaced. There are 60,000 miles on the motor.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Do a leak down and compression test. that is excessive oil consumption and smoke under heavy accell point to rings. I just went through the exact same thing with the exact same symptoms. I now have a new motor in the car.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm sucky. but 110 trap with just a lid? sweet...
Old 08-07-2006, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

you sure u dont have an oil leak somewhere? that could explain the oil residue all over your back bumper. Look under the car to see if everything is greasy and oily.

-Blaze
Old 08-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Teching In

I tore down a motor doing the same thing. It was an 10 sec car, cam/heads car with 29,000 miles. First 22,000 miles it was a bolt on only car. Switched over to no pcv with catch can but it was too late, short block was already junk.
1 quart every 300 miles. Compression test was not too far off but the leak down test sucked. over 20 % on a few cylinders. I think oil gets on the o2s and the computer starts dumping fuel and helps kill the rings. Domino effect.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:26 PM
12 Second Club

i would say valve seals when i pulled the intake heads on my formy the valve seals were el crapo..just imagine a 305 w/ about 300K on it with no oil changes..thats what mine looked like..
Old 08-07-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

yeah im guessing valve guides the guy im having redo the top end and my heads and cam also said that someone went as far as emailing the header companies because many people had complained about smoke and consumption after headers. and there reply was that the headers would create a vaccum on the valve seals and if they were weak theyd leak so that is what my guess is.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by just1news6
yeah im guessing valve guides the guy im having redo the top end and my heads and cam also said that someone went as far as emailing the header companies because many people had complained about smoke and consumption after headers. and there reply was that the headers would create a vaccum on the valve seals and if they were weak theyd leak so that is what my guess is.
im still going with my first guess with the vlave seals... and it could be a guide as well... but i have a feeling its an exhoust valve seal and thats why there is no oil on your plugs... maybe one was torn when they got installed or wasnt fully seated
Old 08-07-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Hawk312
I am stil burning about a quart of oil every 300-400 miles in my Firehawk. It is so bad that I have to buff out the rear bumper after just 5-10 miles of driving, as oil spots appear all over the bumper (it`s a white car).
You are seeing spots of oil on the back bumper??????? Oil spots in that location are from an external leak. Every single car I have ever worked on that has had spots on the bumper/back of the car is from some form of external leak.

John
Old 08-07-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

That is a good point check your oil filter i have seen them do similar things
Old 08-07-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

you also say there is smoke under accerlation... what color is the smoke?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Hawk312
I have already installed the LS-6 valley cover, and installed a catch can, which is only catching a few drops of oil. I also did a compression test, and it is right where it should be. It also runs strong, running a 13.2 @110 with just a lid. I pulled the spark plugs and, besides a bit of a lean condition, they look good with no oil on them. There is noticeable smoke under heavy acceleration.
Anyone have any ideas? The only think i can think of is the rings, but would it still pass a compression test with flying colors?
If its your valve seals you'll get a big cloud of smoke if you nail it from say a 50 mph steady cruise speed, than as you keep accelerating hard it'll clear up. Check that at night with traffic a couple hundred feet back, their lights will allow you to see the cloud come and then clear up.

Bad rings will smoke all the time. Or you will get puffs of air out of your oil fill cap.

Don't feel bad, I use about 2 quarts driving from Lauderdale to Orlando...210 miles. And my heads just got redone. My rings are trashed.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ojustracing
You are seeing spots of oil on the back bumper??????? Oil spots in that location are from an external leak. Every single car I have ever worked on that has had spots on the bumper/back of the car is from some form of external leak.

John
What do you mean external leak, from where?

My bumper gets black in 3 days right above the pipes. BLACK!

Old 08-08-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Regular

Quicken Im refering to this particular car. He say's after driving the car for 5-10 miles he has oil spots on his bumper. Oil spots are from it dripping then having the air under car blow it the back of the car.

Now if it was buring it, yeah I can agree with you that it would leave a film on the back bumper not spots.

John
Old 08-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ojustracing
Quicken Im refering to this particular car. He say's after driving the car for 5-10 miles he has oil spots on his bumper. Oil spots are from it dripping then having the air under car blow it the back of the car.

Now if it was buring it, yeah I can agree with you that it would leave a film on the back bumper not spots.

John
I`m not sure if it matters, but the spots are very, very small and very evenly distributed across the back bumper. There are also spots on the bottom of the spoiler, and they seem to be darkest just above the exhaust tips.
The bottom of the car does have some oil on it, but when it is sitting in the garage, and I only take this car out on the weekends, there is maybe one or two *small* drops underneath it on the floor. However, the rear diff cover is leaking fluid. Could this be it?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

My guess rear main seal. If his plugs aren't covered with oil then it most likely isn't an internal oil consumption. Look under the car and see if you see any oil by the trans or anything.

Quick Reply: May have the record for oil consumption...what to do next?