Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What kind of cam

I recently bought a 1999 WS6 that was completly stock except for the loudmouth exhaust. Since then I have put on an airlid and a couple other bolt ons. I was thinking about getting a cam but I know nothing about them. What would you guys suggest. My friend was talking about the Texas Speed Magic Stick 4 Camshaft. I dont mind spending 400 bucks but do i have to upgrade a bunch of other stuff. What would you suggest for someone that knows not very much about cars. I want it to sound good and give me a little more power. What do you guys think?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:24 AM
12 Second Club

you need the supporting mods before u get a cam ( long tube headers, ls6 intake) is it an auto or m6?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:25 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are gonna want a full valvetrain upgrade also.
Springs
Pushrods
Possibly retainers (def. if you go with a dual spring)
Possibly lifters (if you are pulling the heads for any reason)
Oil pump
Old 08-08-2006, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

It is an M6, is there a way that I can get the power and the loapy sound without upgrading everything. I have a loudmouth exhaust and it sounds really good, I was planning on putting in Pacesetter longtube headers and a cutout. Do I have to upgrade the whole valvetrain???
Old 08-08-2006, 12:33 AM
12 Second Club

short answer YES, all you need is springs, pushrods... also i would highly recommend ls6 ported oil pump, and ls2 timing chain
Old 08-08-2006, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

What is the easiest way to get more power and make it louder??? How can I get that loapy sound without the cam then?
Old 08-08-2006, 04:38 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by machsv103
What is the easiest way to get more power and make it louder???
Supercharger.

Lopey?
Drop your idle speed down.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

with that valvetrain upgrade to run a MS4 your going to need new lifters, the lift on that cam is huge and the powerband is high in the range.

Last edited by Rothman; 08-08-2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by machsv103
I recently bought a 1999 WS6 that was completly stock except for the loudmouth exhaust. Since then I have put on an airlid and a couple other bolt ons. I was thinking about getting a cam but I know nothing about them. What would you guys suggest. My friend was talking about the Texas Speed Magic Stick 4 Camshaft. I dont mind spending 400 bucks but do i have to upgrade a bunch of other stuff. What would you suggest for someone that knows not very much about cars. I want it to sound good and give me a little more power. What do you guys think?
My first suggestion would be to make a lot of research on cams before going blindly on a cam purchase. To quote jrp, "Cam is the “brain” of your engine. It will dictate how your engine will perform; power, idle quality, valve events, etc...". You must know all the implications that will come with your cam change (lost of low end torque, gear change to compensate, headers to match it, intake, springs, tune, etc...).

You must define your goals first. What do you want? High-end horsepower? Low-end torque? Mid-range torque? Sound? Is it a daily driver, a weekend warrior or a track-only car? The Magic Stick 4 is a big cam that will give you great high-end numbers, but you will also need a new gear set and a good tune to make it live properly on the streets. Too big of a cam can give you a car that will perform great on the track but that will be a dog on the street.

Read jrp's cam guide first. Search on this site. Talk to others. Search, search, search... and then, when you've done searching... then search again!

It took me 5 months of searching and talking to others before choosing my cam.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/327734-cam-guide.html