Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad did your car run after cam on stock tuning??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006 | 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default How bad did your car run after cam on stock tuning??

My car has been running pretty rough and i am getting a miss on several cylinders. I have mac mid headers with off road y-pipe and an slp loudmouth exhaust so it doesn;t sound the best in fact it seems to pop when i get to 3k-4k.....i can;t tell if it's in the exhaust or the motor so anyways how bad did some of you other guys cars run after cam swaps by the way i have a big cam...not huge but still good size 230/236 with 571 lift on a 112

thanks
Dustin
Old 08-16-2006 | 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

My car was fairly driveable with a 228 588 112 cam, LT, ORY, ... I had to help it stay running with the gas pedal for the first 30-45seconds after starting and when I came to a stop. My car ran strong off idle to 6200 without missing or popping. I only drove it for about 2 weeks like this before the tune, but the car learned a lot in those two week on how to keep itself running. I had a few misfire codes as well but do not remember it being terrible.
Old 08-16-2006 | 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The SLP LM does pop a bunch, but it should only be in when you put the clutch in to downshift at the revs you mentioned. I get a pop at WOT when I shift up when I'm running the 160 stat with fans adjusted for it, too. That doesn't mean you're missing though. That cam is definitely bigger than medium, and the first thing I'd do is get a good tune, then try to see if you still have a problem to diagnose. A lot of guys that install cams up to 228R say they drive 'em away, no problems. It's not a gurantee when you're swapping in a cam that probably has decent + overlap. How long have you been driving it since the swap? It's pretty easy to check the plug wires, too...
Old 08-16-2006 | 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have been driving it for about a week in a half right now. i have checked plugs and wires...i am running tr6 plugs cause i i want to spary eventually....but i am hoping they are not hurting my performance N/A i think the ignition is good...car fires right up just like it did when stock
Old 08-16-2006 | 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cstick
My car was fairly driveable with a 228 588 112 cam, LT, ORY, ... I had to help it stay running with the gas pedal for the first 30-45seconds after starting and when I came to a stop. My car ran strong off idle to 6200 without missing or popping. I only drove it for about 2 weeks like this before the tune, but the car learned a lot in those two week on how to keep itself running. I had a few misfire codes as well but do not remember it being terrible.
your setup is almost identical to what mine was.when i first put the cam in it actually ran great .it idled good and made decent power but it was on the lean side so i didn't like to go more than 1/2 throttle for the couple weeks before i had it tuned.some people actually drive for a few months without a tune but i would go as soon as possible.
Old 08-17-2006 | 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

mine is a 230.236 so it's bigger then a 228 but i gues it's enough to make it run rougher
Old 08-17-2006 | 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Formula_Power
how bad did some of you other guys cars run after cam swaps by the way i have a big cam...not huge but still good size 230/236 with 571 lift on a 112

thanks
Dustin
I wouldnt know, I had my tune when they did the h/c. youll just end up fouling plugs
Old 08-17-2006 | 01:26 PM
9 Second Club

I have the MS3, 237/242, 603. 609. I ran on stock tune for about a month, it ran rough and surge like a SOB at low rpm's and missfired, but I was still able to drive it fine.
Old 08-17-2006 | 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

First, stock tunes and a cam are always worst with a A4 than a M6. If you look a Tech 2 misfire graph it will show every cylinder misfiring, that's normal untuned. If you know the timing is good, plugs and wires are tight, and it pulls pretty hard under WOT, then just get it tuned and you should be fine.

The Loudmouth likes to pop for basically no reason too. I had one for about 2 months so I know.

Also the TR6's won't hurt your performance at all.

Last edited by HeapaShifter; 08-17-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-17-2006 | 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I drove my 224/227 for a few days before getting it tuned. Ran lean and kind of crappy. Then I put #42 injectors in the day before I had it tuned. OMG, I had to meet the tuner about 2 miles away. Car died 4 times on the way there. I barely made it there as I had to coast the last several hundred feet because it died and wouldnt restart!
Old 08-17-2006 | 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Rough idle before tune

My car idled rough before the tune. I put about 200 miles on it and it stalled constantly. After the tune I love it.

Bob K.
Old 08-17-2006 | 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hope the tune does it....it's good to hear other and their experiences
Old 08-17-2006 | 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Back in the day with my 231/237 on stock tuning my car ran great. I had to drill the throttle body out a bit, but other than that it was fine. Sadly my best NA 1/4 passes were even on the stock tuning with just a raised rev limiter. No idea if it was running safe a/f or not, but it made good power.
Old 10-01-2006 | 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i still haven't gotten the car tuned yet and of course it still runs like ***. I am afraid it is not in the tuning....when i get to about the 3-3500 mark it starts poping and stuttering really back and struggles to gain more rpms....the revs don;t climb like they do on my stock ls1....maybe it's starving for fuel??...too much fuel?? what do you guys think?....I am really fed up with this car and I'm debating puting it back to stock in the next week or 2

thanks
Dustin
Old 01-20-2007 | 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Same problems here. Had severe backfiring, but swapped new plugs and wires, then ran perfect for about twenty miles, then started missing at WOT and runnign lean. Don't know why, but is still off a little, i'm assuming tune, but there's still that odd miss. So i know what you're going through and guys, we need some help. Is it just a tune or not? I know we need tunes, but why else would it do this, say we already had tune, any ideas/???
Old 01-20-2007 | 08:41 PM
12 Second Club
20 Year Member

Mine sucked the big ***** when it came to running untuned.....it didnt ever "learn itself"......i had to let off the gas REALLY REALLY slow to get it to idle and even then it surged like a champ....it really hated traffic, but it ran like a champ at WOT....No backfires though i did throw misfire codes....u can hear the clip in my sig its untuned and bearly stayed on long enough to get the clip done.
Old 01-20-2007 | 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Formula_Power
maybe it's starving for fuel??...too much fuel?? what do you guys think?....I am really fed up with this car and I'm debating puting it back to stock in the next week or 2

thanks
Dustin
Yeah.... maybe.... you think you're fed up with your car? you're car is PISSED at you right now for being an *** and not getting it tuned. Thats a good sized cam and the stock pcm just doesn't have the info to make it run right, you need to get it tuned. It could be too much fuel, could be not enough, no way to know unless you tune it..... you're solution is that simple.

Quick Reply: How bad did your car run after cam on stock tuning??