Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no oil in the valve cover during cranking

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 01:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default no oil in the valve cover during cranking

So i pulled my valve covers cause i had more valve train noise then normal, and my buddy said to pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the motor over and see if you get oil in the valve covers....I don't what could cause this??

I just turboed my car and when i did that i pulled the oil pump and put a double roller timing chain in, could i have messed something up there?? I do get oil pressure during operation and I am 99% sure i am getting oil in the valve cover area becasue the valve train looks good and there is oil residue on everything in there.

help!
Old 08-21-2006, 05:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With the plugs in it may not turn fast enough to pump oil to the valve train. With the plugs out and the coil packs disconnected plus fuel pump fuse pulled I got 30 psi cranking.

Are the spacers in place correctly for the oil pump? Did you start the car, did you get any oil pressure? I would suspect either the spacers are not installed correctly or the o-ring may have gotten pinched, especiallly with a double chain due to the required movement of the oil tube to get it to line up correctly.

If you think you are starving for oil, don't turn it over too much to prevent bearing problems.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just cranking it over with the starter. i don't see any oil pressure on my machanical gauge. the starter doesn't turn the motor fast enough. so you don't see any oil around the top of the head at all? there won't be alot of oil to see. should be a little.