Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is wrong? Ticking and sqeaking, Im pi$$ed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is wrong? Ticking and sqeaking, Im pi$$ed.

Sorry about my mood, but I had a ticking and sqeaking coming from the engine. I figured that maybe I had a collapsed lifter, so I pulled the heads off and replaced all the lifters. I also installed a brand new set of prc LS6 heads. The one side note was that one of the pistons appeared to have fuel wash on the top ( half of the piston was clean, posibly from fuel, coolant, or oil). I replaced all the gaskets and bolts and re assembled the engine. Started the car and the sqeakinga and ticking is still just as bad as ever. I ran the car for a couple seconds without the belt to determine if the sqeak was related to a pulley and it still sqeaked and ticked, so it is not belt related. While the car was cool oil pressure was at at least 60, and once it was warm it didnt drop much lower than 40. What could be the possible problems?

Last edited by fastGBcamaro; 08-21-2006 at 05:09 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-21-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Tensioners maybe???
Old 08-21-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to go with a loose cam retainer.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you tear things apart again you need to take the time to narrow the source. When you pulled the belt, did you pull both? Does it do it with clutch depressed and without? Does it do it more on acceleration than deceleration, have you checked the drain plug for any metal in the oil. Did you do a compression and or leak down?