Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang 2 valve 4.6 Gurus inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay away from Sean Hyland as he has ripped so many people off with his stuff and failed motors. VT Engines, Modular Powerhouse are great to work with and have the best reputation.

VT stage II's are pretty good street manners and can bump up some hp as well. Comp 270's tend to have some PTV issues and their 268's are decent. I would give Scott or Jim@ VT Engines a call or visit www.vtengines.com or give Tim Barth a vist at www.modularpowerhouse.com

However, those 3.73's will most likely need to come out so that 2v can make use of those cams. The NPI engines can do really well with PI intake and PI cams and port the stock NPI heads. It is the NPI heads that choke them up.

Stay away from strokers. Our 281's have a long stroke as it is(same as a 351 ci). These motors need bore and Big Bore kits work the best with cams and staying NA.

Last edited by blackfang; 09-01-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blackfang
Stay away from Sean Hyland as he has ripped so many people off with his stuff and failed motors. VT Engines, Modular Powerhouse are great to work with and have the best reputation.

VT stage II's are pretty good street manners and can bump up some hp as well. Comp 270's tend to have some PTV issues and their 268's are decent. I would give Scott or Jim@ VT Engines a call or visit www.vtengines.com or give Tim Barth a vist at www.modularpowerhouse.com

However, those 3.73's will most likely need to come out so that 2v can make use of those cams. The NPI engines can do really well with PI intake and PI cams and port the stock NPI heads. It is the NPI heads that choke them up.

Stay away from strokers. Our 281's have a long stroke as it is(same as a 351 ci). These motors need bore and Big Bore kits work the best with cams and staying NA.

I agree 100%! The guys over at MPH are GREAT to to deal with and really know those cars inside and out. Buddy of mine is going through them with some VT cams/headwork at the moment.

Jon
Old 09-01-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I would not bother with cams on any ford motor, just add boost and your good to go.

Now once your at around 600+ rwhp, then you can consider going to cams, but if your expecting the bang/buck like a LSx motor, you will be VERY dissapointed. 20 hp, to get a car that idles like crap, and a $1200 lighter wallet is not my idea of efficient.

Ryan
Old 09-01-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

If he wants great modular heads, go with foxlake, VTengines, Modularpowerhouse, or Modularmustangracing. 234 is a very streetable cam for stangs too.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:14 PM
dug
Banned

The problem with mod motors is too little cubic inches and too much stroke. The only way to make power n/a is to rev the **** out of it. Then the intake becomes a restriction. Boost is the only way to go. Yank out the motor and put in some forged low compression slugs and boost it. 450rwhp is realistic and reliable.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:31 AM
TECH Resident

Right now VT enbgines has a NA 2V making 365 rwhp and might be swapping for their cams and that should bump it to 380-390.

Some mod motors if built right can make power, Like Al papito's 5.4 DOHC that makes 568 rwhp on motor and runs 9.8's. Just have to built em right and spend a ton of $$ where for less $$ a blower can net you some decent streetable power.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dug
The problem with mod motors is too little cubic inches and too much stroke. The only way to make power n/a is to rev the **** out of it. Then the intake becomes a restriction. Boost is the only way to go. Yank out the motor and put in some forged low compression slugs and boost it. 450rwhp is realistic and reliable.
The stock intakes are bad past 5k rpm. But they got an answer for that too.
http://foxlakeracing.com/index.php?s...y=Front%20Page
Called P-51. Kenb even has a prototype version from foxlake thats better then the P-51. There is 2 or 3 other intakes. I just prefer this one. As far as limits of cubic inches. DOHC 4.6 are capable of more hp then OHC 5.7 liters.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:35 PM
dug
Banned

Whatever, Im not a fan of mod motors. Comparing a 4.6 to a 5.7 is pointless. Its so cheap and easy to build up a 402. Its not like the external dimensions are different.

Its blah blah blah. You can make any engine do whatever you want if you got the money. I only care about hp per dollar.

Bottomline is ford fucked up. They created an engine thats the proverbial jack of all trades, master of none. Its has the dohc valvetrain that can rev to the moon, only to be limited by a and long stroke. Plus the small bore limits any airflow potential of a 4v head. Its a crappy motor.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
As far as limits of cubic inches. DOHC 4.6 are capable of more hp then OHC 5.7 liters.
you're gonna have to explain that one. are you talking OHC 5.7 do you mean OHV?
Old 09-04-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by zigroid
you're gonna have to explain that one. are you talking OHC 5.7 do you mean OHV?
My bad, I ment ohv 5.7. And as far as the comment on the bore, They shown 50rwhp gain from increasing the bore from 3.55 to 3.7. Making the 4.6 a 5.0. Yea, these motors are weak. Even GM showed u can get more with the ZR1. 5.7 OHC putting around 405 hp in the early 90's. And guess what Ford has the boss coming with a 5.0 liter with 380 hp. Yea mod motors suck.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and now GM is making a 505 hp pushrod v8 that owns supercharged fords. how can you say that the mod motor is better? if you cam the the LS7 and put headers on it you have almost 550 rwhp. lets look at flow # for your 32 valve vs. our 16 valve. it cost way more $ to get power out of it and wont make a much power. you wont see a 400 rwhp mod motor that is NA it wont happen

Last edited by SUTTERERMAN85; 09-04-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh ya if the ZR1 was so badass why are they not using it anymore?? and it is a bitch to work on
Old 09-04-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SUTTERERMAN85
and now GM is making a 505 hp pushrod v8 that owns supercharged fords. how can you say that the mod motor is better? if you cam the the LS7 and put headers on it you have almost 550 rwhp. lets look at flow # for your 32 valve vs. our 16 valve. it cost way more $ to get power out of it and wont make a much power. you wont see a 400 rwhp mod motor that is NA it wont happen
I don't want to start a war, and I want to make a point that I love the LS7. But yea like you said, it takes 7.0 liters to make 505 hp from GM. Sure, you win the agrument on streetable. But like the cammer 5.0 with 500 with cam. Hmm 2.0 liters less and pretty much the same hp. Flow numbers don't always win races, some times you can flow to much. But being a bigger CI gives you easy access to free flowing heads. Won't see 400rwhp from a NA mod motor? are you living in the dark? MMR made a 4.6 put down 500fwhp. Thats around 420 rwhp, off a 2v. Here is a list of you of some mod motors.
And this is just of guys that go to this site.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=515518

Boss 330 (556 SAE) 5.4L, Ported 05 GT's (4valve) by

This guys first on this list with a 5.4 liter DOHC, putting down 556 rwhp with 1.6 liters less then a LS7, cammed etc.

Nazman (from Mighty Mustangs) (410/333 SAE) Owner Ported FR500 Heads/FR500 Cams/FR500 Intake. 4.6L HP Champion.

Here's a 4.6, with 410 rwhp 4v. And you this is an old list, and people have gotten more out of these mod motors. And the OHV LS series is cheaper to work on. But in time when R&D falls off, mod motors will be just as cheap. And remember all mod motors have only Ford blocks, and heads. Worked maybe but only Ford produces heads, and blocks for Mustang modulars. So restrictive or how much hp is proven from just the GM block and heads on a 5.7 liter?

oh ya if the ZR1 was so badass why are they not using it anymore?? and it is a bitch to work on
GM loves to put out speciality models that only go for short periods of time, and probably didn't want the cost of producing the OHC over and over. Plus, their fan club, you, is more adapted to ohv. Funny, how the race world bought up the zr1 motors like a storm.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually Naz was at 468rwhp this year.

I view the mod motors and LSx motors as pretty much equal. Both are incredible...plain and simple. So well engineered, and they put all their predecessors to shame pretty much. That is absolutely right with the mods motors...they're damn near squared (3.552x3.543) when stock. OHC setups open up top end, so a bigger bore will help open it up quite a bit. I'm still building my LS1, but if/when I get more money, I'd love to build a mod motor. I love the sound of cammin' 4V's. They're are just wicked. Just get a 4.6 iron block, bore it out to a 5.0, some ported 03/04 4V heads, VT or Crower cams, and...honestly, I haven't decided on the intake yet. The FR500 is wicked, because its all variable, but it's $$$. I still think I'd bore it out, keep it around 9.25:1 C/R, get NICE heads/intake - maybe sheetmetal, and add a big centrifugal blower...I'm thinking Paxton Novi 2000 or ProCharger F1. Throw that in something light with a live axle, like a GT, keep it nice and sleepy and that would be a hell of a streetcar.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

Al Papito is making 568 rwhp on motor with his 4V. Scott from VT engines is making over 700. An old friends 97 Cobra is made 401 to the tires. Nazman is making 465 rwhp NA with his bigbore motor in his Cobra. It can be done, just have to do it right.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont want to fight here either, but i just think that it is hard to say that the mod motor is better, its all in the eye of the beholder i suppose. and the 7.0 that is 505hhp is stock too. you are comparing moded 4.6 and 5.0 to a bone stock 7.0, i agree that it has 2 more liters, but how much power can you get out of one of these? 600 rwhp+? it is possible with some cnc'd heads and a BIG cam, ect. FWIW how many 400+rwhp mustangs do you see as opposed to LS based. i do agree with you that a OHC motor will live longer with sustained high rpm but look at how GM's "old school" pushrod motor is holding up compared to all of this new high tech stuff. all in all, i dont think fords motors are bad but more power is eaiser attained from a LS motor than a mod with less $ involved. that was more less the point i was trying to get across. i am just stating my opinion and have no use for a pissing contest. good luck with you ford stuff.

again i am not trying to offend anyone here just saying what i think.
nick
Old 09-04-2006, 05:27 PM
dug
Banned

Im just pissed that ford made a dohc v8 with a small bore and long stroke. If they would have based it off the old 289, they could have had a beast with 10k redline. Putting dohc hardware on a truck engine makes no sense to me.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, it was engineered as a modular system, so that they could use most of the same components throughout the entire line of vehicles. Perhaps that's why.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

i dont want to fight here either, but i just think that it is hard to say that the mod motor is better, its all in the eye of the beholder i suppose. and the 7.0 that is 505hhp is stock too. you are comparing moded 4.6 and 5.0 to a bone stock 7.0, i agree that it has 2 more liters, but how much power can you get out of one of these? 600 rwhp+? it is possible with some cnc'd heads and a BIG cam, ect. FWIW how many 400+rwhp mustangs do you see as opposed to LS based. i do agree with you that a OHC motor will live longer with sustained high rpm but look at how GM's "old school" pushrod motor is holding up compared to all of this new high tech stuff. all in all, i dont think fords motors are bad but more power is eaiser attained from a LS motor than a mod with less $ involved. that was more less the point i was trying to get across. i am just stating my opinion and have no use for a pissing contest. good luck with you ford stuff.

again i am not trying to offend anyone here just saying what i think.
nick
I am not fighting either. If I recall you said
Originally Posted by SUTTERMAN85
you wont see a 400 rwhp mod motor that is NA it wont happen
Looks like I showed you up with some 400+ rwhp modular motors. Now you are asking on how many are out there? Man what is next? Looks to me you are backpeddling.

FWIW I dont think the Mod motor is better. I just know there are many out there running 6's and 7's with them and there are some making 400+ rwhp NA,which is very expensive for a 4.6 as it is a small motor. The 5.4 on the other hand can make 400+ rwhp with a relative mild setup.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 8banger
Well, it was engineered as a modular system, so that they could use most of the same components throughout the entire line of vehicles. Perhaps that's why.
Bingo and its more efficient.

Quick Reply: Mustang 2 valve 4.6 Gurus inside