Sponsored by:

I found a bad rod bearing, pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb I found a bad rod bearing, pics inside

http://www.badassperformance.com/misc-vid/

Well, here are all the pics. I just finished cleaning up (can't have everyone coming to work with my mess in the shop). I unbolted the cover and first two rods. I had priviously diagnosed the first rod as the bad one by pulling plug wires. I guess that method works well. I was able to feel some side to side play in the first rod. All the others felt good. The bearing on the piston side feels ok, but it is hard to tell. I suppose I should completely disassemble the engine and inspect everything.

I'm trying to get running again for as little as possible. Perhaps I can get away with a cut crank, new bearings and a new rod? Is there a seal kit available? I know the rear main was leaking. I suppose I should replace the structural bolts I removed as well.

Between the guys here and the EFIlive forum I was able to diagnose the exact problem. Thanks for all your help. Hopefully, I'll be running again soon while remaining married and not going broke.

thanks,
Tom
Old 08-27-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats exactly how my bearings looked. I am in the same boat you are rebuilding my engine. That is a clean FC. You just need to clean the engine bay up a bit. Ny build consist of a cleaned block, cut crank - .040 on the rods .030 on the mains (your cut will depending on how deep they will need to go to clean it up from the bad bearing) Clevite 77 bearings, ls6 ported pump, F14 cam, ported heads PP valve springs, stock bottom end with new rings and flycut pistons. As for gaskets a local parts store will work. Everyone is using the Felpro gaskets.
-Alex
Old 08-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice, I'm feeling your pain!

Quick Reply: I found a bad rod bearing, pics inside