Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another budget motor build ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another budget motor build ?

I'm rebuilding a 68 camaro and it will have an LSx based motor in it. I need some help with getting the most bang for my few bucks. Right now I can get a LQ4 with under 20,000 miles with harness, pcm, and accessories for $1850. If I go this route I'll need a LS6 intake, LT headers, cam, plus get the pcm reprogramed. Probably sell the accesories because I'd like to have the LS1's for better looks. I'll also have to use a new wiring harness. Probably one from painless. All this with a $3000 budget. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track. Also any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-28-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

A very wise man once told me, if you can get a good deal on something but have to spend a bunch of money to make it work.....was it really a good deal to begin with?

I don't think you can do all that on a $3K budget, might be wrong though.

Good luck on your project!
Old 08-28-2006, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Well right now I don't have any motor so I've gotta start fresh. I could go the carbed 350 route but that's been beat to death. I can fab up most things that I need. I was just wondering if this would be a good combo for the car. I know I'll have to buy all the supporting equpment. Right now just $3000 for the motor by itself.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

I would be somewhat close to that number if I didn't have to pay for shipping to canada. I bought a used and already dissassembled short block, rebuilt it with new bearings and gaskets, ls6 intake, H/C combo, oil pump and push rods from TSP, and I bought a bunch of the misc. engine stuff from guys on the forum. I'm into it for about 3500 total and all i need is a pcm. If you went with a used H/C combo you might be able to make it. It would be really tight though
Old 08-28-2006, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

That's more along the lines of what I was thinking. I'm just gonna do rod bolts for the added safety cause I'm planning on removing the oil pan to have a look at the crank anyway. I guess the only problem with the stock heads is the low compression. I saw a set of used ls6 heads in the for sale section at $750. If I go that route I believe it will bump comp to about 10.5:1 if i've been reading right. That should give me a pretty stout,relatively stock motor.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

I think you're best off buying a wrecked LS1 car and taking the parts you want and selling the parts you don't want. That way you get all the wiring and trans (if you want it). Also Patriot is selling LS6 cores, brand new, for $385. Good luck with the build!