Sponsored by:

Oil press. took a turn on me...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil press. took a turn on me...

Im stumped on this one...

I just installed a H/C pakage with the parts listed below.

On the fist start-up, oil press. went strait to 60 psi. great. So I took her for a spin, let the temp heat up, noticed press. drop with acceleration. Good to go.

I did 2 more heat cycles, stayed below 4000rpm. Oil press. was always normal: 55 psi, drops a little with acceleration. Still good to go.

The problem: On my third drive, (47 miles on cam and heads) I decide to take her to red line for the first time, right before I get home. She pulls great, but my exitement was short lived. When I let off and the RPM falls, oil pressure drops to 10 psi. At that point the pressure INCREASES with throttle. I had to stay on the throttle to keep the pressure up enough to get home. Right as I pull into the garage, and let off the throttle, pressure drops to ZERO. I throw in neutral quickly, hit the gas, and pressure increases with it. Let off the gas, back to zero. I turned it off. Let it cool over night.

Today I started her up in the garage, pressure goes to the normal 55 psi. At temperature, the pressure begins to drop, on its way to zero again. I hit the throttle and the pressure increases. Not sure what to do here... everything was normal, now after 47 miles the pressure takes a turn? I know the oil pump o-ring is not pinched, I took the cover off it to check that, and that does not explain why pressure went from normal drop with acceleration, to increase with acceleration???

Car is not tuned yet. was gonna drive a few more miles and change the oil first.

SES codes are P0300 (3 times)
P0481 (2 times)

Idles around 500-700rpm, pretty rough, but does not die

2001 A4 Z28, 28,000 miles

TR 227/224 .569/.563 on 114
AFR 205 heads
TSP ported/shimmed oil pump
DR timing chain
lifters (soaked for 3 days)
hardened pushrods
160 thermostat
PCV delete, one line from pass valve cover to drivers side, breather on oil cap. unused lines plugged.

Last edited by lowprofile; 08-31-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Sounds like that sending unit got mangled while you did the install... read that FYI post. Has to be it.

But really i got nothing, just figured i'd give your post a little BUMP.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Sounds like your oil is not "staying in grade." Check to see if your oil is contaminated with fuel or coolant. (Fuel most likely.) What oil are you using? It doesn't sound like an oil pump relief spring problem. I would change your oil & brand. Have you ruled out a faulty sending/gauge unit?
Old 08-31-2006, 11:33 PM
Launching!

gonna play with the sending unit, Ill see if it makes a differance.

Im using M1

The oil press needle moves with the rpm. When I hit the throttle, the oil press. increases with RPM. Let off, oil pressure decreases with the RPM.

But Im putting my money on the sending unit. Ill check that next time I start it up...