Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 stock oil pump or LS6 Ported Oil pump??? Which to go with..

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its funny people argue over this all the time...I have 101k just did a cam swap and went from an ls1 stock pump to and ls6 stock pump...my oil pressure was funny before, but my 00 WS6 runs great with that ls6 pump in there. 99-00 I hear should throw in a ls6 pump anyway...but other than that like 01-02 have a great pump already in. Ported pumps are for your sig and thats about it.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by silverdub6
Its funny people argue over this all the time...I have 101k just did a cam swap and went from an ls1 stock pump to and ls6 stock pump...my oil pressure was funny before, but my 00 WS6 runs great with that ls6 pump in there. 99-00 I hear should throw in a ls6 pump anyway...but other than that like 01-02 have a great pump already in. Ported pumps are for your sig and thats about it.
The '01 & '02 came with the updated, "LS6" oil pump, so you are correct. It's good to go.

Ben T.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
But I think only the inlet is ported. And also, having a larger outlet than inlet will increase the likelihood of cavitation at the positive pressure side of the pump, if I'm not mistaken.

And I'm pretty sure that the increased pressure you saw when you went to the LS6 pump was due to it have a stiffer relief spring than your 98 pump had and not because of a larger inlet or outlet size.

No offense to anyone, but I like Studytime's take on this topic.
There wasn't much porting to be done on the inlet, all of it was on the outlet side. I didn't measure the pickup tube outlet diameter, but it was pretty comparable to the casting outlet. Regardless, as I have said, THE OUTLET DIAMETER WAS UNCHANGED. The entryway to the outlet was massaged, but the outlet was untouched.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alot of great theories here. Alot of people are saying they see an increase from a stock pump to an upgraded pump but that just may be due to a weak pump.The only real way to test it is to put a UNPORTED LS6 pump on and see how much PSI it pumps, then take that same exact pump, port it out and run it. I doubt there will be a big increase in PSI but there still will be something noticable, I would guesstimate around 5 PSI.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Default Another option to consider...

What about the LS4 oil pump? When I ordered my pump (LS6), I was told the LS4 flows about 30% more than the LS1/LS6 pumps. The LS4 pump was $10 cheaper than a stock LS6 and significantly cheaper than a ported LS6. I still had my LS6 ported since I knew it was a proven item, hadn't heard much about the LS4 at that time.

-Rick
Old 09-10-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

think about this like exhaust, ok say you have 3" true duals and 400 horsies, if you change to 4" true duals and nothing else youre not gonna gain anything from it because your pistons are still pumping out the exact same amount of exhaust! the increase in pressure may (may) "may" be because of the fresh ls6 pump with fresh bearings.... but porting the pump doesnt make the pump push more fluid, like someone said up top of this page, its for your sig. lol
Old 09-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CNVRTmyZ
think about this like exhaust, ok say you have 3" true duals and 400 horsies, if you change to 4" true duals and nothing else youre not gonna gain anything from it because your pistons are still pumping out the exact same amount of exhaust! the increase in pressure may (may) "may" be because of the fresh ls6 pump with fresh bearings.... but porting the pump doesnt make the pump push more fluid, like someone said up top of this page, its for your sig. lol

Using your analogy, why then would I pick up 20+ horsepower switching from exhaust manifolds to long-tube headers. Aren't the pistons still pushing out the same amount of exhaust (mentioned above)? Sorry for going off topic, trying to learn here.

-Rick
Old 09-11-2006, 06:46 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

anyone use the new GMPP oil pump? it's listed in the book; I always install a new LS6 pump when the front cover is off
Old 09-11-2006, 07:46 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by connecticut
I always install a new LS6 pump when the front cover is off
How often is that?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Switchbarrel
Using your analogy, why then would I pick up 20+ horsepower switching from exhaust manifolds to long-tube headers. Aren't the pistons still pushing out the same amount of exhaust (mentioned above)? Sorry for going off topic, trying to learn here.

-Rick
Using his analogy you would gain nothing because this analogy is not valid but rather a gross trivialization.

Ben T.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Studytime
Using his analogy you would gain nothing because this analogy is not valid but rather a gross trivialization.

Ben T.
Agreed. Although motors can be simplied to a basic air pump, they are infinately more complex (scavenging, volumetric efficiency, air flow [which is compressable as opposed to liquid flow, which isn't] etc.) than the simple PD oil pump being discussed here.

Back to our regularly scheduled program...........

Quick Reply: LS6 stock oil pump or LS6 Ported Oil pump??? Which to go with..