Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shortened Rocker Bolts Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Shortened Rocker Bolts Question

OK, so I was reading GM High Tech Performance the other day and saw a mention of them want to use ARP shortened rocker bolts in one of their projects (they ended up just cutting the stockers). After thinking a second about this, it sounds like a pretty good idea. After all I can see the threads coming down into the intake ports of my ported 241's and it only makes sense that if the bolts protrude into there, they'd certainly disrupt flow. So after looking at a few sponsors and coming up blank I was wondering where I could I find a set of these shortened ARP rocker bolts (and their part #). Or failing that how much I should take off the stock bolts. Thanks in advace for any help.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hehehehe. I had the same problem on my Dart Pro One heads for my SBC. I installed longer rocker arm studs to make sure the locking nut assembly had enough threads.

So the ones that stuck down into the intake track I chucked them up in my lathe and took about .040" off. Now they are flush with the top of the intake track. There was no problem with the ones for the exhaust.

You might want to check Manley and the ARP websites as they make quite a variety of studs. I was thinking maybe you could grind them down but you would want to be carefull on the heat. You could also do what I did and find a friendly machine shop if you don't have a lathe.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grinding wheel work? lol....
Old 09-19-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess you could install them, torque them down, then spray paint the part that sticks into the runner. Let the paint dry then remove the bolt. Grind off the painted portion of the bolt for a perfect fit. Don't mix them up though, they will only be a perfect fit for the chamber they came from.

This process should take you only a few hours, and you're hours of labor might net you 1 rwhp.