Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insane Oil Consumption, 427 LS1...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 12:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is zero truth to bad Diamond pistons. Zero. None. Nada.
They work well.
Who built the motor?
Old 09-23-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, it drove well on my 320 mile trip. In a 250-mile section I was going 70-80mph the whole time, it only used about a 1/4 quart of oil. The on a 70-mile section, which is hilly with some traffic, it ate about 1/2 quart. So I don't know what's going on. Seems like it might be getting better, we'll see.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Even if it's getting better, like Bowtie said, it'll never be right. It may become tolerable but burning more than 1/2 a quart every 1000 miles is pretty insane, I don't care what your setup for the street is. I really hate to say it but I think you're delaying the inevitable. I feel for you, man, but I think it's time to bite the bullet and tear it down to see what exactly's been happening and fix it up right.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Even if it's getting better, like Bowtie said, it'll never be right. It may become tolerable but burning more than 1/2 a quart every 1000 miles is pretty insane, I don't care what your setup for the street is. I really hate to say it but I think you're delaying the inevitable. I feel for you, man, but I think it's time to bite the bullet and tear it down to see what exactly's been happening and fix it up right.

LOTS! of cars use 1.5 qts every 3K miles. That is WELL WITHIN industry spec...what gives? I thought you guys (LS1 owners) were the "using oil is ok" groupe?
Old 09-23-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm pretty certain I'm going to be ripping the motor apart again, but I'm going to give it time and see what happens.

As a point of reference, the Porsche 911 Turbo burns about 1 quart every 600 miles from th factory.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Stanger88
LOTS! of cars use 1.5 qts every 3K miles. That is WELL WITHIN industry spec...what gives? I thought you guys (LS1 owners) were the "using oil is ok" groupe?
If i ever had a motor burn that much oil it would be coming apart in no time. The only people i think have ever said that was acceptable was a dealer trying to get out of a warranty claim. Besides, he used 3/4 of a quart in 320 miles, that about 7 quarts for 3K miles.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

We're not talking about other cars. We're talking about a 427 that is burning way more oil than it should. A Porsche may burn a quart of oil every 600 miles and that may be within "industry spec" but I doubt whoever built this engine (sponsor or Ferocity himself) built it to the spec of burning 3/4 a quart of oil every 320 miles. You can't just throw out a general statement like that and say because some company with a completely different engine/purpose says it's ok to burn that much oil.

Last edited by ArcticZ28; 09-23-2006 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
We're not talking about other cars. We're talking about a 427 that is burning way more oil than it should. A Porsche may burn a quart of oil every 600 miles and that may be within "industry spec" but I doubt whoever built this engine (sponsor or Ferocity himself) built it to the spec of burning 3/4 a quart of oil every 320 miles. You can't just throw out a general statement like that and say because some company with a completely different engine/purpose says it's ok to burn that much oil.

Then why did someone bring up 1.5 qts per 3K miles? I sure didn't. I simply inquired why it was a bad thing. I guess a LOT of people on this board have shitty motors straight from the factory if you take a look at my oil use poll in the LSX general section.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Banned

Yes, HIS oil usage is NUTS! my built mustang 302 only uses maybe 1 qt ever 1K miles or so. IF I get on it a lot, maybe more, and the motor is in perfect condition. Compression tests are perfect, ect.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would rip it apart now if I was you.good luck mang.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:12 AM
TECH Junkie

I thought you guys (LS1 owners) were the "using oil is ok" groupe?
Where did you come up with that? And btw, the first (and last) Ford 302 I owned leaked more oil in 3k miles than my ls1 has ever burned. Not to mention it was slow as ****.

Last edited by 11 Bravo; 09-24-2006 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

^ ^
Old 09-24-2006, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
It's not the pistons and rings. I ran them in my 427 and they were fine. Check valve seals or rings that are damaged. Good luck.
I agree. My Z is in the shop right now. I had a bad ringland in cylinder 2. It was eating almost as much oil as yours was. Mine was due to a deuche bag that had the car before me running too much NO2. Putting a Z06 block in there now. I was putting in almost a quart a week. I hope this works out for you. Believe me, I know how frustrating it is. I was broke and knew I had to get the engine ripped apart....Thank god for bonuses. Good luck!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Where did you come up with that? And btw, the first (and last) Ford 302 I owned leaked more oil in 3k miles than my ls1 has ever burned. Not to mention it was slow as ****.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo

I have pulled a few LS1's with my mustang, but I am tired of it and messing with it. It doesn't leak a SINGLE DROP! (then again, new motor and tranny and all that). I too am going over to the dark side and getting an LS1. The only thing that worries me is the other day I was cruising around and came to a light with an M6 Trans Am. We both took off gently (it was a turn to the left and he was on the inside lane) He got 1.5 cars on me b/c he was on the inside lane. Then when I was trying to pull = to him to line it up, he matted it. I was in 2nd gear at 20mph. I floored it as well. By 50 I had not only caught up but put at least 1/2 a length on him. By 60 he had started to come back and was = with me at around 60-65 when A car pulled out and we had to stop.

NOW, what bothers me is my car has yet to be tuned and the carb was running PIG RICH! and the fastest it trapped was 98.54 in its state of un-tunedness and almost fouling the plugs on the primaries alone. HOW DID I RAPE THIS GUY WHEN HE WAS THE ONE WHO JUMPED ME?! (until 60-65 when he was making a legit comeback).

As to the oil use on the 427, pull plugs, do a compression check, maybe even a leakdown test. Go from there.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pantz28
I agree. My Z is in the shop right now. I had a bad ringland in cylinder 2. It was eating almost as much oil as yours was. Mine was due to a deuche bag that had the car before me running too much NO2. Putting a Z06 block in there now. I was putting in almost a quart a week. I hope this works out for you. Believe me, I know how frustrating it is. I was broke and knew I had to get the engine ripped apart....Thank god for bonuses. Good luck!
Man, it is "douche Bag", and nitrous junkies all do that, me included, i've lost 2 stock blocks to the juice and it was always the ringlands.
everything has a limit I guess. some of us push to close to the edge
Old 09-24-2006, 04:39 PM
10 Second Club

I have pulled a few LS1's with my mustang, but I am tired of it and messing with it. It doesn't leak a SINGLE DROP! (then again, new motor and tranny and all that). I too am going over to the dark side and getting an LS1. The only thing that worries me is the other day I was cruising around and came to a light with an M6 Trans Am. We both took off gently (it was a turn to the left and he was on the inside lane) He got 1.5 cars on me b/c he was on the inside lane. Then when I was trying to pull = to him to line it up, he matted it. I was in 2nd gear at 20mph. I floored it as well. By 50 I had not only caught up but put at least 1/2 a length on him. By 60 he had started to come back and was = with me at around 60-65 when A car pulled out and we had to stop.

NOW, what bothers me is my car has yet to be tuned and the carb was running PIG RICH! and the fastest it trapped was 98.54 in its state of un-tunedness and almost fouling the plugs on the primaries alone. HOW DID I RAPE THIS GUY WHEN HE WAS THE ONE WHO JUMPED ME?! (until 60-65 when he was making a legit comeback).

As to the oil use on the 427, pull plugs, do a compression check, maybe even a leakdown test. Go from there.

Maybe you're a good driver and his car was stock and the other was a bad driver.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Man, it is "douche Bag", and nitrous junkies all do that, me included, i've lost 2 stock blocks to the juice and it was always the ringlands.
everything has a limit I guess. some of us push to close to the edge
That settles it! Not juicing my car. I want all motor anyway. I'm not going to be taking it to the track that much...if at all. I just want something that'll put these pretentious ****** who ride around here with their C5s, in their place.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

I can assure you that your 302 will develop oil leaks. Among other things. The best thing about the 302 is that because parts are so cheap, it is affordable to have a spare engine on hand when the one in your car blows up. One thing I like about the LS* engines is that they use o ring gaskets. I don't know what you have done with your car, but I beat a supercharged '87 Mustang GT back when I had nothing but a lid and a cat back, and still had my auto with a 3200 stall.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Banned

I have GT40P heads, cam, etc .etc. etc, but HE JUMPED ME! and there was no shifting involved and he didnt spin, NO WAY he was "a bad driver" even if he was, it wouldnt have mattered. My car should run high 12's according to other members of this board but I think thats a load of crap. All I have are GT40P heads, X303 cam, aluminum RR's, 4.10's, TKO500, suspension, full weight 88 GT. I am giving it to my dad bc its **** slow. Oh, I have full MSD ignition and pro-billet dizzy with a 575 BG mechanical carb (untuned and PIG RICH!) HOW!? did I pull 3 cars before he made a comeback?

Quick Reply: Insane Oil Consumption, 427 LS1...