Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6spds, Cams, Bucking---What's the real deal

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006 | 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Until a tuning genious can lay out a step by step procedure on how to tune a big cam to not buck, im gonna have to say that no tune will ever completely eliminate it. Sure I can easily drive around the problem areas, but that dosnt mean its eliminated. Im very particular about my tune. Ive tried positively everything and I read constantly in the tuning forum and the HPT board. Nobody that I know of has sufficiently explained how to aleviate bucking. The best ive seen is a few coverups. They seem to work fairly well (although not entirely) but then once the weather changes, its back to bucking hardcore again. Wont somebody fess up and let the magic spell out of the bag?
I don't know that it can not be eliminated....it's just that what some have had luck with....I haven't.

The big ones that everyone mentions are

Fuel.....I'm as good as I'll get using a wide band
Spark.....it holds steady. Have tried everywhere from 23*-45*
Throttle cracker.....have been all over it. Add, subtract, zeroed out.
DFCO.....disabled

I dunno what I'm missing. The 224 cam was easy. The TSP Giant....little more work.
Old 09-26-2006 | 08:58 PM
On The Tree

This thread is getting more discussion than what I thought it would. Although mine might be able to be tuned completely out, it appears this is more common than I would have thought.

Who has the biggest cam with a 6 spd that has NO bucking at all????
Old 09-27-2006 | 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

The only time mine bucked was when I forgot to connect the ground wire on the back of the head.
Old 09-27-2006 | 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

My car does the same thing from 1200 to 1600 rpm. I hope to get it retuned someday, but for now I just bring my rpms up to cover the problem areas.
Old 09-27-2006 | 11:21 AM
On The Tree

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't a bucking under 1500 rpm's usual. Any rpm under 1500 is a huge lug on the motor, not to mention you have a cam. My car with stock cam bucks under 1300 rpm or so, and it only gets worse with a cam/rough idle car. I never drive under 1500 rpm's, it doesn't make sense.
Old 09-27-2006 | 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mxmatt137
correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't a bucking under 1500 rpm's usual. Any rpm under 1500 is a huge lug on the motor, not to mention you have a cam. My car with stock cam bucks under 1300 rpm or so, and it only gets worse with a cam/rough idle car. I never drive under 1500 rpm's, it doesn't make sense.
Dont think of it as lugging the motor. I most cases the bucking happens at closed throttle decel, or very low throttle, like under 5% TPS. Usually when you push the throttle far enough to actually lug the motor, it straightens out.
Old 09-27-2006 | 11:33 AM
10 Second Club

I agree. It's almost like it happens when just above a state of neutrality. Like when just letting it idle across a parking lot in gear with no throttle, after taking my foot off the throttle.
Old 09-27-2006 | 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

To the last three posters, my stock M6 car will do this as well, in the same situation. Low (approx. walking speed) in first gear, clutch out, 0% to very light throttle, and typically decreasing rpms. I've since figured out that its better to clutch in and coast than endure the buck.

I'll be modding my car soon enough, and I'll do my best to tune it & make it liveable, but this isn't an operating condition that most cars excel in. I had a 5.0L Mustang years ago that would do the same thing. Come to think of it, both of my parent's economy cars did it too.
Old 09-28-2006 | 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pewterme
This thread is getting more discussion than what I thought it would. Although mine might be able to be tuned completely out, it appears this is more common than I would have thought.

Who has the biggest cam with a 6 spd that has NO bucking at all????
PM wicked Weasel on Corvetteforum.com His 2001 Vette has the G5-X3 with AFR head setup. After getting an SD tune (and downgraded 4.10s to 3.73s) he has no bucking, no surging, no hot starts. He can drive on 6th gear at 14mph with nothing happening.
Old 09-29-2006 | 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

I'm having the same issues in parking lots, and other low RPM/low (or no) throttle situations. Patrick G's cam. Speed Inc. had my car on the dyno for 3 pulls before they told me it was tuned. I've been talking with Larry the last few weeks and I'm bringing my car back in Monday to have the tuner drive around with it a little bit and work out some of the issues (as well as tune the car below 3000RPM!).

I had absolutely zero problems like this when the car was stock. I don't think your stock cam car should be bucking under 1300..
Old 09-30-2006 | 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Until a tuning genious can lay out a step by step procedure on how to tune a big cam to not buck, im gonna have to say that no tune will ever completely eliminate it. Sure I can easily drive around the problem areas, but that dosnt mean its eliminated. Im very particular about my tune. Ive tried positively everything and I read constantly in the tuning forum and the HPT board. Nobody that I know of has sufficiently explained how to aleviate bucking. The best ive seen is a few coverups. They seem to work fairly well (although not entirely) but then once the weather changes, its back to bucking hardcore again. Wont somebody fess up and let the magic spell out of the bag?
do you have a friend and HPT?

go out on a country road, put it on cruise at 1500, and use the VCM controls. Usually, bigger cams like to be richer than the tree hugging 14.7:1. For example, you could put my AFR to "12.7" and it would buck a lot less. So, use the VCM and change the AFR (note this is commanded, not necessarily actual). Also, you can add/subtract timing. You'd be surprised how much you can get done shortly with a friend.

i'm of the opinion that big cams will never drive like stock. by that rational, you could tune all the lope at idle out of them. granted, you can make it a LOT better, but they will 'lope' until they clean up at higher rpms.
Old 09-30-2006 | 06:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Greg Fell
do you have a friend and HPT?
Yeah, Ive got HPTuners, but everyone know I cant afford friends!

Yes, ive got my low end richened up. For the most part its around 14.0 and then works its way upwards from there. This is a true 14.0, not a lean condition that averages out with rich decel from a fat min inj pulsewidth. Any more fuel than this, and the bucking actually gets worse. Subtract and it gets worse. Im balanced on a knife edge, and that knife edge seems to move slightly with the weather conditions.

Quick Reply: 6spds, Cams, Bucking---What's the real deal