Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed oil...is this trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd bet on the front seal. Those pieces are absolutely tiny and somewhat round. Here is what I think happened. The seal was either reused or installed incorrectly, and basically the steel ring in the front seal got hot and basically burned up the seal. That hot metal then would ball up like that. Now, my next question is if that is the case, did it do any damage to the crank journal where the seal rides? I'm uncertain if anybody makes a speedy sleeve for a LS1 crank or an oversized front main seal. I'd be willing to be you find the source of the leak you find the source of the metal. I wouldn't sweat it. Your motor is probiably ok minus the leak.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you know there is a fairly elaborate procedure for installing the pan and timing set cover and aligning them up with each other. Did your installer follow this procedure. If not it quite possibly would contribute to you oil leak. Checking the needles in your rockers is easy enough to do. All you have to do is pull the pushrods out to unload the rockers and check them for side play. A visual inspection might even reveal a faulty rocker.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
I assume you know there is a fairly elaborate procedure for installing the pan and timing set cover and aligning them up with each other. Did your installer follow this procedure. If not it quite possibly would contribute to you oil leak. Checking the needles in your rockers is easy enough to do. All you have to do is pull the pushrods out to unload the rockers and check them for side play. A visual inspection might even reveal a faulty rocker.

The oil leak seems to be coming from the front of the oil pan. There's gasket maker along the front of the oil pan. Is the front portion loosened when swapping cams? I didn't install a new oil pump when I changed out the cam.

We'll drop the pan and make sure it's done correctly.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 White Ws6
The oil leak seems to be coming from the front of the oil pan. There's gasket maker along the front of the oil pan. Is the front portion loosened when swapping cams? I didn't install a new oil pump when I changed out the cam.

We'll drop the pan and make sure it's done correctly.

yes, the pan has to be at least loosened to get the timing cover off IIRC. the shop may not have cleaned very well or let the gasket glue in the corners dry properly before installation. could also be the front seal as earlier stated.