Old 10-04-2006 | 03:47 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by jay_99z
Interesting......
unless ur gona post something helpfull keep your comments to your self
Old 10-04-2006 | 05:14 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by gonbad
Couldn't an over rich condition literaly wash the oil film off the cylinder walls resulting in a ring land failure due to excessive friction?
when i say pig rich i dont mean blowing black smoke outa the exhuast.... it was a lil rich but no freight train. car was only ran 25 easy miles..... the car went on the dyno to be tunes and was fine......
Old 10-04-2006 | 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1984camaroz28
unless ur gona post something helpfull keep your comments to your self

I thougt I was being helpful. I was helping people weed through the BS and get to the facts. It looked like you needed some help.

To be honest....after dealing with you on the purchase of a converter.....I don't believe much of what you say. And by the way this thread has gone so far....my gut feeling is right. Lets see...

"It wasn't tuned"
"no wait....it was tuned"
"It was pig rich"
"Now by pig rich I mean...."

Bottom line....this thread made me laugh. Good to see this happen to someone that screwed me on a purchase.
Old 10-04-2006 | 09:32 PM
8 Second Club

I thougt I was being helpful. I was helping people weed through the BS and get to the facts. It looked like you needed some help.

To be honest....after dealing with you on the purchase of a converter.....I don't believe much of what you say. And by the way this thread has gone so far....my gut feeling is right. Lets see...

"It wasn't tuned"
"It was pig rich"

Bottom line....this thread made me laugh. Good to see this happen to someone that screwed me on a purchase.

First of i did no screw u on the converter i bought the converter from a member (BEAR) he advertised to me it was a 4400stall and i take his word because he is well know on here. I wasent gona refund ur money because u dont like that way it flashes not like your other one and "i dont think it a 4400". I have flawless feedback. so im done i cant satisfy everyone.

Eastside can vouch the tune was off but no far enought off to do damage like u think........

I have several other memebers on here that can vouch im telling 100% the truth....

all i got to say is .... I love the ls1tech everyone is a Mechanic and builds 9second cars.....

Last edited by SSPerformance; 10-04-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-04-2006 | 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

*Satisfied customer here - just speaking up.

How's that V6 Firebird doin'?

I had a valve spring break after 15 miles on a brand-new engine just a few weeks ago; took out the head and a piston, luckily the cylinder wasn't damaged. Stuff breaks! - Everyone who knows anything about performance knows that once in a while it happens. It's unfortunate, but it does happen.

What makes the difference is when you have awesome folks the HPE and the company who did and assembled my trouble causing head -- professional folks who step up and say "yup, something went wrong, and we're gonna look into it."

Thumbs up to HPE and crew!
Old 10-04-2006 | 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1984camaroz28
First of i did no screw u on the converter i bought the converter from a member (BEAR) he advertised to me it was a 4400stall and i take his word because he is well know on here. I wasent gona refund ur money because u dont like that way it flashes not like your other one and "i dont think it a 4400". I have flawless feedback. so im done i cant satisfy everyone.

Eastside can vouch the tune was off but no far enought off to do damage like u think........

I have several other memebers on here that can vouch im telling 100% the truth....

all i got to say is .... I love the ls1tech everyone is a Mechanic and builds 9second cars.....

You sold it as a 4400. It wasn't. It was a 3600 at most. There was no "thinking" about it. Either it is or it isn't. That simple. I had HPTuners hooked up and it never even came close to a 4000 flash. All I wanted was to return the converter and get my money back.

Since that never happened I am at least satisfied that you fucked up your engine (with or with out a tune). Congrats.
Old 10-05-2006 | 05:55 AM
12 Second Club

You sold it as a 4400. It wasn't. It was a 3600 at most.
Sounds liike this needs to come back to "Bear", since he sold the assumed 4400 stall in the first place -- think about it.
Old 10-05-2006 | 07:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pathogen
Sounds liike this needs to come back to "Bear", since he sold the assumed 4400 stall in the first place -- think about it.

he wasnt dealing with "bear". if he had to walk back up the chain, fine...
the honorable thing to do would have been to give jay back his money, then go after "bear" for it.

thats just the honorable thing to do.. obviously theres no requirement... but karma is a bitch.
Old 10-05-2006 | 08:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BeachZ
I have to say I'm impressed by the responses from HPE and Brian from Wiseco. Good on you, guys.
I second that.
Old 10-05-2006 | 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pathogen
OFF TOPIC A BIT HERE

But who manufactured the converter...SS series Yanks are tight and flash speed is not the same as stall speed dummy. I had a 3800 PTC unit that would flash to 3200 on motor...On the T-brake it went to its true rating of 3800. If its a 4l60E, I have no doubt this is what you are experiencing...they dont make t-brakes for them.
Old 10-05-2006 | 11:36 AM
Banned

You sold it as a 4400. It wasn't. It was a 3600 at most. There was no "thinking" about it. Either it is or it isn't. That simple. I had HPTuners hooked up and it never even came close to a 4000 flash. All I wanted was to return the converter and get my money back.

Since that never happened I am at least satisfied that you fucked up your engine (with or with out a tune). Congrats.
we can see we really have an ls1 mechanic on our hands lol my yank 3500 doesnt flash near 3500.
Old 10-05-2006 | 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

umm, i rode in the car... heck, i drove it back from target the same day it was in.

its a baby stall. a very, very, very small stall thats not close to 4000. the stall we took out was larger... matter of fact, we swapped that one back in.

no matter how you want to cut it, it was so far off of a 4000 stall, that there's absolutely no way it could have been rated as such. period.
i think jason is being too generous saying it might have been a 3600... i think its alot tighter then that.

just FYI, i didnt know much about this hassle part... i dont bother with the drama, i just know about the car, how happy jay was that he was getting a bigger stall, and how disappointed we both were that the stall was smaller then his old one.... i knew there was some BS with the guy he got it from, but i honestly didnt follow it that closely.

in anycase, what he was sold, was not what he was told... not even close. at all.
Old 10-05-2006 | 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
OFF TOPIC A BIT HERE

But who manufactured the converter...SS series Yanks are tight and flash speed is not the same as stall speed dummy. I had a 3800 PTC unit that would flash to 3200 on motor...On the T-brake it went to its true rating of 3800. If its a 4l60E, I have no doubt this is what you are experiencing...they dont make t-brakes for them.
Rossler makes a transbrake for the 4L60E. you can search on here for more info.
Old 10-05-2006 | 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

OK... im going to shed some light/input on this whole subject..

i bought my HPE shortblock about a year ago, 408 iron block just like this guys. i drove the car UNTUNED 100% bone stock Z06 tune for a good 4 months until my HP tuners got here. i have not had 1 single problem with then engine whatsoever. finally got the car tuned, threw on the spray, and popped a head gasket (shitty **** **** fel pro paper gaskets) when i tore down the engine and looked at the pistons and cylinder walls to make sure all was well EVERYTHING was perfect, pistons looked amazing still, cylinder walls were perfect. everything was 100% awesome after running it with no tune for honestly FOREVER. i HIGHLY doubt the tune caused this unless there was detonation... these shortblocks are VERY strong and take ALOT of abuse.

after switching to some MLS gaskets i am now continually spraying a 200 shot on the car, not a hickup, not a single problem EVER. this has by far been the most sound and money best spent decision i have ever done to the car.

AWESOME custumer service HPE, you guys have made me a customer for LIFE

Last edited by LostCauseZ06; 10-05-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-05-2006 | 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01blackz28
we can see we really have an ls1 mechanic on our hands lol my yank 3500 doesnt flash near 3500.

Yeah...I'm pretty much a dumbass. Thank ya.

Didn't say it was gonna flash to 4400? I said it never came close to 4000. In reality it didn't hit much higher than 3300 or 3400. I understand it will brake stall less than advertised. It should however flash a hell of a lot closer to the advertised stall speed (if not higher) than 1,000 RPM's below.

I've driven 80,000 miles with a high stall converter (two actually) and I know what they feel like and what they do on the tac.

Botom line.....
He had this in his car.
He knew it wasn't high as it should have been.
He dumped it and wouldn't stand behind his word.
Blaming it on the previous owner after he had it installed....complete BS.

His car is still fucked. And it makes me smile. No really....it does.
Old 10-05-2006 | 03:34 PM
11 Second Club

ok retards.... quit hogging this thread and make your own to bitch in.
Old 10-05-2006 | 03:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LostCauseZ06
ok retards.... quit hogging this thread and make your own to bitch in.

Fair enough. I'm done.
Old 10-05-2006 | 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

Fair enough. I'm done.

hehe sweet btw.. i agree with your posts 100% of that helps at all
Old 10-05-2006 | 03:41 PM
8 Second Club

can we keep please stick with the topic....
Old 10-05-2006 | 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

"It wasn't tuned"
"It was pig rich"

Cheers for the internet cross examination. Like he said, it came with a basic tune, not a dyno tune, just one to get him close enough to run it on a dyno and go from there. I saw/heard it run on that tune, and it was fine. It was rich enough to stop the car from being 100%, but he wasn't throwing smoke and hurting his engine. "It wasn't tuned" =referring to before his dyno tune at east side. "pig rich" = once again, referring to the rich condition prior to his dyno tune. What kind of asshat would drop a 408 into a car and run it on a shitty tune until it broke? 1984camaroz28 knows more about late model f-bodies than anyone I've ever met, he most certainly would not throw away 1000s of hard earned dollars like that.

Quick Reply: well im done for the year....408 piston came apart