Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high LSA cam ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Check out this article. It does a great job of explaining how different aspects of a cam effect performance/drivability.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te..._lobe_phasing/
thanx that article was real helpful ahot and sweat, those diagrams really help explain alot.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Teching In

I think everyone above needs to re-read that article.

The article is correct. Some of the information you guys posted is correct, some is not as correct. But TchargedLS1TA was right and you guys convinced him he was wrong.

Generally speaking,

More duration, lower lsa result in more overlap (and more lope, rougher idle), moving the power band UP in the RPM range, and result in more high end power.(example: trex)

Less duration, higher lsa result in less overlap (and less lope, smoother idle), moving the power band DOWN in the RPM range, and result in more low end torque.(example: tr old man cam)

Look at the article listed above and cam descriptions on manufacturer websites. They will support these statements. But no hard feelings guys, there are so many factors here it can get very confusing very fast.

And looking at ls1 dyno sheets, the powerbands for our cars are generally very wide and bigger cams usually make more power and more torque all over the place, they just are not as streetable, have rougher idles and need higher gears, tuning etc.

If you want "stealth", and lower powerband, I would check out the tr cheatr cam

- from tr's web site "214/230 .601/.578 117 LSA. Off Idle-6800 RPM Power Band. Broad power range ... Stock like idle."

I would also see if you can find someone who has this cam (or similar).

Last edited by camarslow; 10-08-2006 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Banned - Ed Curtis aka EDC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camarslow
I think everyone above needs to re-read that article.

The article is correct. Some of the information you guys posted is correct, some is not as correct. But TchargedLS1TA was right and you guys convinced him he was wrong.

Generally speaking,

More duration, lower lsa result in more overlap (and more lope, rougher idle), moving the power band UP in the RPM range, and result in more high end power.(example: trex)

Less duration, higher lsa result in less overlap (and less lope, smoother idle), moving the power band DOWN in the RPM range, and result in more low end torque.(example: tr old man cam)
I believe you are taking the post out of context.

If you have changed the duration specs on the camshaft, you change the characteristics. This is not what was being discussed.

What was mentioned is wide LSA makes low end power and tight LSA makes more top end. That broad statement is incorrect. That statement also has no regard for a change in duration. It only talks about LSA.

So, to say the tighter LSA grind, with identical duration specs, should make more power at a lower RPM, is totally correct.
Look at the article listed above and cam descriptions on manufacturer websites. They will support these statements. But no hard feelings guys, there are so many factors here it can get very confusing very fast.
Yes there are quite a few statements that can get confusing. For example:

Cam 1:
250*-250*-114*

Cam 2:
210*-210*-110*

Which one is gear towards low end and which one is more high RPM?

And looking at ls1 dyno sheets, the powerbands for our cars are generally very wide and bigger cams usually make more power and more torque all over the place, they just are not as streetable, have rougher idles and need higher gears, tuning etc.

If you want "stealth", and lower powerband, I would check out the tr cheatr cam

- from tr's web site "214/230 .601/.578 117 LSA. Off Idle-6800 RPM Power Band. Broad power range ... Stock like idle."

I would also see if you can find someone who has this cam (or similar).
That profile was designed for stock manifolds and more of an emissions compliant grind. I bet a camshaft with 214*-220*-110* +2* would blow the doors off that 214*-230*-117* camshaft.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

What would adding 10deg of duration on the exust side do? No one would spec a 214*-230*-117*. The shorter LSA would move power down. But would not have power higher in the RPM band. What I looked for was a cam with more power down low. 224 228 on a 110 +2. This is a street car and it works well. Someone should delete this Theard.

Quick Reply: high LSA cam ?