Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing bearings in car..

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by john563
I dunno ,but last year I had my rod bolts done with Katechs..My buddy who owns a shop said he could swap out the bearings with clevites too..
He did with the engine still in the car.I've had no problems either..I even swapped out my tr224 for much larger cam and many dyno/wot pulls..
I dont know how long it took,but he said it was a P.I.T.A ,but he did for me for next to nothing as a favor..Normally he would tell customers they are just better off rebuilding instead of going through all that..I was on a 1 wk vacation when he did it so I dont know how long it took

The clevites were the P series I believe which are stock replacements..I'll double check I still have the old boxes they came in with my old bearings in them
P.I.T.A w/ a lift = nightmare w/o a lift.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
P.I.T.A w/ a lift = nightmare w/o a lift.
he has a lift..That was in june last year,and on january of this years is when I took out the tr224 for my custom cam,and have had many dyno /wot pulls since and everything is fine
Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by john563
he has a lift..That was in june last year,and on january of this years is when I took out the tr224 for my custom cam,and have had many dyno /wot pulls since and everything is fine
I figured that when you said your buddy owned a shop. But from the sounds of it, the original poster isn't going to be using a lift. I was just further voicing my advice to drop the motor out and replace everything with it outside of the car.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Launching!

I had to change the oil pan gasket on my C5 while most of the suspension was apart and the steering rack was out. What I did was support the motor by the bell housing and drop the front cross member. From there, its pretty self explanatory.

Unfortunately, when I cracked a rod cap I noticed significant wear on the top of the bearing (down to the steel at 60k miles!), so I went and replaced them all with clevites and Katech rod bolts. In hindsight it would have been easier to pull the motor, but I wasn't expecting to find a bad oil pan gasket and worn rod bearings.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I figured that when you said your buddy owned a shop. But from the sounds of it, the original poster isn't going to be using a lift. I was just further voicing my advice to drop the motor out and replace everything with it outside of the car.
I agree with ya,but lucky for me I have a friend with a lift and did me a HUGE favor
Old 07-24-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Grant B
I had to change the oil pan gasket on my C5 while most of the suspension was apart and the steering rack was out. What I did was support the motor by the bell housing and drop the front cross member. From there, its pretty self explanatory.

Unfortunately, when I cracked a rod cap I noticed significant wear on the top of the bearing (down to the steel at 60k miles!), so I went and replaced them all with clevites and Katech rod bolts. In hindsight it would have been easier to pull the motor, but I wasn't expecting to find a bad oil pan gasket and worn rod bearings.
Same here I was just gonna have my buddy put in the Katechs at first,but he noticed some wear,so he just said he would put in some clevites..I was not gonna argue since he was doing it and not me