Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you Advance a Cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never heard of it being adjusted that way (not saying it can't be done or isn't done). Let's say the hole for the dowel is 1/4", you would have to rotate the cam sprocket at the very least another 1/4" for the next timing slot, which would be too much of a difference. That's about on par with just turning the cam sprocket a tooth, or actually could be changing the timing more due to the fact that the dowel holes are located closer to the center of the sprocket, thus causing a greater change than if the it was moved by a tooth on the outer edge of the sprocket.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always heard 1 tooth was 17 degrees.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ohsofast
Why do you do it. I just ordered a H/C package from TSP and my cam is the Torquer V3 would I have to advance it and if I did what are the benefits. Can you get the tool at autozone.
It closes the intake valve sooner which yields more compression for more HP.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jm93camaro
Its commonly done on older style SBC's with distributors. Yes it can be done with the timing set, but, its more commonly done by adjusting the distributor.
WHAT???? Ignition and cam timing are 2 seperate things.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like there is lots of misinformation in this thread. Al is right with his numbers. From what I can tell, there are 44 teeth on the cam gear, which is driven at 1/2 the speed of the crank gear (22 teeth).

360/44 = 8.18 cam degrees, or 16.32 crank degrees. Way too much to advance a cam. If you have a setup that is marginal on piston to valve clearance, advancing the IVO 16* or retarding EVC 16* is almost certain to cause problems.

As stated previously, one crankshaft degree of adjustment requires only .5 degree of change at the cam. This is usually accomplished by an offset bushing that moves the sproket in tiny increments, small movements on an adjustable sprocket, or multiple offset keyways on the crankgear.

Any time you are adjusting the timing, you really need to degree the cam anyway. Yes, you can be pretty sure that a two degree bushing will move the timing two degrees - but is that camshaft or crankshaft degrees - or did you put it in advanced or retarded? Pays to be sure.

Quick Reply: Why do you Advance a Cam