Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are these do-dads that go on top of the heads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're supposed to be steam vent tubes. By the time you have steam you coolant is boiling. Hopefully your cooling system keeps your engine below that point. Those things are the interface between the heads and the tubes which eventually leads to the radiator. You should have noticed something was missing when you were putting your intake back on because the tubes were just lying there on the valley cover not connected to anything. You can't just leave parts off(well maybe your EGR or something else mandated by the EPA) without causing a problem. You need to come up with a better inventory system when you do a tear down. You must have had coolant spraying all over the place once the engine came up to temperature. If you had made this post BEFORE you started the engine you wouldn't have received so much grief.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont feel bad vtodd. im like an angry golfer. I break more parts gettin pissed during installs... Its uncontrollable rage syndrome. yeah i have it. and this computers not workin right..........
Old 11-05-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
They're supposed to be steam vent tubes. By the time you have steam you coolant is boiling. Hopefully your cooling system keeps your engine below that point. Those things are the interface between the heads and the tubes which eventually leads to the radiator. You should have noticed something was missing when you were putting your intake back on because the tubes were just lying there on the valley cover not connected to anything. You can't just leave parts off(well maybe your EGR or something else mandated by the EPA) without causing a problem. You need to come up with a better inventory system when you do a tear down. You must have had coolant spraying all over the place once the engine came up to temperature. If you had made this post BEFORE you started the engine you wouldn't have received so much grief.
i agree with you. i thought i was being very surgical like. taping everything off with notes, putting everything in order, but these 2 little pieces got left out of that. it was late, i should of stopped already, but i kept going anyways, and i just set them to the side on my tool tray and totally forgot about them.

about the coolant blowing everywhere. i cant say that i know what you are talking about. there was no coolant anywhere. it was just smoke/steam.

also, now you have got me scared again. what tubes are you talking about that i should have noticed when installing my intake again??? there was the front coolant bleed pipe thing that had a pipe going from one head to the next, which is installed, and then there are the 2 little pieces that i pictured that went on the rear corners of the heads, but without a tube connecting them. what are you talking about?

thanks by the way.

todd
Old 11-05-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by greatwhitess
They don't look like gaskets. They are about 1/16th thick and the shape of the plug. They will usually stick to the heads when you pull the plugs. You will need to get replacements if you can't find them. GL. Don't worry about the mistake. Everyone here makes them. Most just don't have the guts to post their f**kups so others end up repeating the same mistakes.
they did have o-rings in them and i inspected them. they looked fine. would you have a link to a picture of these things?

thanks by the way!

todd
Old 11-05-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

lmao dont feel bad todd, i once gave my cutlass a tune up along with cam, intake and carb swap, got everything back together or so i thought, fired it up and the engine looked like it was gonna roll out from between the fenders it was shakin so hard. after launching a few tool across the driveway, cursing, pacing, and chasing friends down that wouldn't stop laughing at me, i looked under the hood and it turnes out olds motors dont like to run with all 4 plug wires on the left bank disconnected lol. they were just dangling over the valve cover in plain sight, i felt pretty stupid lol. i've been a mechanic all my life, we all have done major screw ups at one point all you can do is laugh. but that made me love that motor more, i dont think my LS1 would fire up in the winter time from a dead cold start after installing a monster cam, with just a tap of the ignition switch on the right side 4 cylinders, not going to try either. but anyway good luck and i hope you fix the problem.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

thx for the good words cutlass.

ive got the smoking problem fixed, now iam focused on the overheating issue. cant even get around the block without the temps hitting 300

todd
Old 11-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Teching In

did you put the head gaskets on the right way around?
Old 11-06-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by joffa
did you put the head gaskets on the right way around?
yes. everything if fine.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VTODD
also, now you have got me scared again. what tubes are you talking about that i should have noticed when installing my intake again??? there was the front coolant bleed pipe thing that had a pipe going from one head to the next, which is installed, and then there are the 2 little pieces that i pictured that went on the rear corners of the heads, but without a tube connecting them. what are you talking about?
Don't worry about the tube that's supposed to connect them, only the engines that came with an ls1 intake have that X-shaped coolant line that runs under the intake. In your case (ls6 intake, I assume) all you're supposed to have is those two block-offs that go behind the intake manifold and a coolant line that goes at the front of the engine.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

you did put more coolant back in after you discovered the block offs wer not on right? im sure you lost a good bit of coolant from that.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So, you gonna pony up on what was smoking after the help I gave you, lol??
Old 11-06-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by csmc711
So, you gonna pony up on what was smoking after the help I gave you, lol??

lol, oh no question about it. i was not careful and left the "do-dads" out! and yes i put coolant back in and its running fine. just off the dyno......not the results i was looking for. posting another thread about it.

todd
Old 11-07-2006, 12:43 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=VTODD]and my wife is bitching. [quote]
Old 11-07-2006, 01:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
put the tools down and step away from the car

Holy ****....stop.....my stomach hurts.