Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best cam in this app...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best cam in this app...

98-02 LS1, I am buying it this summer...Illinois has crappy emissions testing, although nothing as bad as cali, and I read all the stickies and it mentioned the overlap playing a role on whether or not the cam will pass emissions...This will be a cam only car. When I get it, my buddy and I are installing pacesetter LTs and catted y with no muffler...Then this will be followed by an SLP lid and CAI, and eventually an LS6 intake and a 3200 stall converter...Whats the biggest cam I can go with on the stock heads that will still pass emissions? I really don't understand the whole overlap thing because I am new to actually building engines, but I have decided that my friend and I are going to do all the work ourselves..I figure its best to learn now instead of later when I graduate college...I really want to get my hands dirty with this car...Please help a fellow f-body lover and somewhat of a newbie(I do know a decent amount about cars)...Thanks
Old 11-07-2006, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

If I'm not mistaken, IL only does the OBDII computer check on 96/later cars.

Which pretty much means anything goes as long as the car's not throwing a CE light.
You can run a TRex and no cats through if you'd like, if everything is "tuned" proper, you'l pass. You need only be worried about the cam specs if the car will go through a tailpipe sniff test.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

sweet, is there a specific way for a catless car to pass the OBDII? I will already be running no muffler, but i know that doesn't effect it...thanks
Old 11-08-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can either run O2 sims, or just have the trouble codes tuned out when the car is being tuned.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:18 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tune them out. It is cheaper and you dont have more crap hanging from the underside of your car.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 3200 stall and cats are the factors that limit and influence cam selection on your set-up unless you need to pass sniffer test.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have O2 sims that I'll sell you!...I believe they are casper brand...paid $90 shipped for them (new) about a year ago. I just bought HP tuners and I'm going to simply tune the code out so I don't need them.
As long as the inspection **** don't look under my car...I'm good to go.
BTW, most of the quasi "run-down" inspection places don't give a crap about it...so they'll plug in the OBDII reader and if there are no SES/CE lights...you pass!