Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What rocker arms & lifters for a hydraulic setup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006 | 01:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dragaholic

So should I play it safe and stick with the Morels or give the GM race lifters a shot? Would you say these 2 lifters are at the top as in best?
You know the Morel's are proven. They are the "best" IMO, but the new GM lifters seem to be very nice. If they can handle the abuse of the GM race teams, I'm sure they'll have no problem in your motor. If I didn't already have Morel's, I'd try em'.

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Rocker arms, besides price, how come rebuild Harlan Sharp stock rockers are so popular? Are they better than aftermarket rocker arms that are offered? What this be the best way to go or is there something better, despite cost? I just don't want to do this twice. I want to make sure that I buy good proven parts that will handle my application.
The rebuilt stockers are so popular because LSX motors are highly sensitive to weight over the valve. Almost every aftermarket rocker that I know of is a good bit heavier over the tip, which casues issues in the valvetrain. The stockers have a nice weight distribution, and there only weak point has been resolved with the HS mod. If you upgrade to a aftermarket rocker, you would need to make sure that you run more than enough spring pressure to be able to control the valvetrain. When it comes to valvetrain, weight is the key. The stockers are the lightest, so that's why they are so popular.
Old 11-13-2006 | 02:23 PM
9 Second Club NA

I don't know what kind of rpms I'll be pulling, but I would guess 7000 or more as my old setup I spun to 7200. It was a max effort cam only engine. I may or may not have to spin those kind of rpms because I'll be making a lot more power, but I'm no expert. Are there any rocker arms out there that retain the same weight as the factory rocker arms or even lighter?

Will the L92 heads accept a 3/8" pushrod?

Are hollow stem valves offered with aftermarket heads or is that something completely custom?
Old 11-13-2006 | 02:29 PM
9 Second Club NA

I guess I'm going to stick with a set of stockers and have the Harlan Sharp mod done. I assume that I'm going to need to buy 8 L92 intake rockers and 8 LS1 exhaust rockers. Then send them off and lasty try my luck with the GM race lifters.
Old 11-13-2006 | 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

FWIW Jessel might be able to help you out with that offset rocker.
Old 11-13-2006 | 03:17 PM
9 Second Club NA

That's a possibility, but I know Jesel's products are expensive. From what I've been told and read, the Harlan Sharp mod seems the best way to go and since the L92 specific intake rockers share the same characteristics as the LS1 exhaust rockers, there shouldn't be any problem doing them as well.
Old 11-13-2006 | 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have had excellent results with useing the Comp Cams lifter part # 875-16. This is their "R" series Pro Magnum lifter. It is supposed to go vertial solid state after 2,000 rpm, due to the tight tolerances internally. The only draw back to these lifter's is the the preload hot is only .002" to .004" instead of .030" to .060" like normal lifter's. They sound like you are running a solid cam at idle with the oil hot. My friend gained 2 to 3 tenths in the 1/4 from switching to these style of lifters.

Last edited by 1997bird; 11-13-2006 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Forgotten info