Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads+Cam E85 Setup, need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

already been done... 450 times and counting....

www.runE85.com/cornvette

It is advantages on a supercharged application, by far. N/A the results do pick up some torque, but not a massive amount of HP (sometimes 3-5) It is a cheaper and safer alternative than premium, although it makes little if no more power than race gas (tested this multiple times) As far as corrosion is concerned, it is NOT alcohol like methanol, it is ethanol, and does not contain NEAR the corrosive properties that methanol does. Viton valve seals have been used since '93-'96 depending on mfr, so "the rubber line corrosion" is not an issue. Most of your fuel hoses already have nylon sleeves in them. we have been working with straight ethanol since 2003 and E85 for the past year and a half.

the following pics are from a customers tahoe w/ 100k (non factory flex fuel) that ran on corn since day one. When he had 105-110k on it he said tear it down and we'll see how bad this stuff is. Results- beautiful. I know of 3-4 corvette guys and 2-3 f-body guys that we have converted on here that have quite a few miles on them w/ no detrimental effects. We are also building a C5 that should do 1000-1200 on corn, hope to be done in april or so...

http://www.rune85.com/internal%20engine.htm

andy

Last edited by rubbersidedown; 01-23-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

:edit: damn. speak of the devil. I geuss between the time I started typing, and finished, andy replied. the same truck I was talking about. anyways, haha.

Originally Posted by MagiC5
The reason of the N/A vs Boost... is N/A motors dont' benefit from high octane fuel like a boosted motor does...

also, if your about to build a motor anyways, you could reap all the bene.s of high compression w/o the worry of detonation. so if you take e85 and put it in your bonnevile, even if you retune, you may not make extra power. but a-b testing a performance eng.(even an N/A one) with say 10:1 comp. and pum gas, compared to 12.5:1 comp. and E85, both being maximized you should gain a substantial amount of power and throttle response.

but, I still think the best reason for making the fuel, and figureing out how to us it in DD applications as well as my hot rod would be to boost local economy and help protect the enviroment a little. and add in a little savings at the pump and it seems like a winner all the way around to me.

as for the corrosive nature of alcohol, I read on a site somewhere about that not being an issue due to the E85 being made from ethonal, not methonal alch.? like aviation fuel.

ofcourse Im no expert on anything, but this is just what Ive picked up by reading up on this a little a few weeks ago. Im praying E85 catches on, and the auto makers make more cars flex/fuel.

and another thing, are you sure they arent working on a ring that can take FULL advantage of E85, instead of how you worded it. as in a ring that can take high mileage, and meet there wear requirements/standards that can seal in a HIGH SCR motor? Ive seen pics of the eng. that was torn down after running on only E85 for 100K miles and there wasnt any cyl. wall wear. they tore down the eng. only for inspection purposes. it had no problems and ran fine. also, they noted how clean everything was in the cumbustion area's. the pics were amazing.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MagiC5
The reason of the N/A vs Boost... is N/A motors dont' benefit from high octane fuel like a boosted motor does...
It won't benefit "like" it, or "as much", but consider this...

Run around town at 13 or 14:1 compression with a cam that pushes your DCR over 9.0...we are talking insane power on a fuel much cheaper than race gas, and a lot cleaner too. It would allow you to build a truly max effort NA machine and still drive it everywhere because you don't need race gas. And the torque gains would be nice.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Blackhawk my buddy went to e-85 in his ls1 camaro. He already had bigger injectors installed so he had enough injector to spray E-85. He picked 15hp with the tune and i don't remember the tq but it was in the same range if not more. Also there's no need for timing retard or a stand alone system when using n2o. I'm switching mine to e-85 when I finish my h/c swap. Next year forged bottom with high compression to take advantage of the e-85. You could be talking 40-50 hp more just for running a different fuel. It cost the same to build a hi comp. motor as it does a low comp. Here in Mn we are the corn capitol of the world you can't go more than a mile or two without finding a station that sells it. The last a saw the price of e-85 was $1.62.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98ws6firebird
Blackhawk my buddy went to e-85 in his ls1 camaro. He already had bigger injectors installed so he had enough injector to spray E-85. He picked 15hp with the tune and i don't remember the tq but it was in the same range if not more. Also there's no need for timing retard or a stand alone system when using n2o. I'm switching mine to e-85 when I finish my h/c swap. Next year forged bottom with high compression to take advantage of the e-85. You could be talking 40-50 hp more just for running a different fuel. It cost the same to build a hi comp. motor as it does a low comp. Here in Mn we are the corn capitol of the world you can't go more than a mile or two without finding a station that sells it. The last a saw the price of e-85 was $1.62.
Your friend is a wise man

read this thread for more info. https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-injection/602091-how-run-your-ls1-e85.html

Quick Reply: Heads+Cam E85 Setup, need help