Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C install underway.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: Well another day of wrenching comes to an end. First would like to thank rob at overkill motorsports for coming up to help with the install. We put the cam in and had to stop because did not have the 12 point socket for the arp balancer bolt. Also had to stop because apariantly i broke the oil Pressure sensor when i took the intake manifold off. But we got both heads back on and the drivers side header on. I also made a tool for cleaning out the bolt holes that worked better than the shop vac and better than threading papertowels into the hole. You get a straw and thread a long pice of papertowel through it and that way it will go all the way down to the bottom of the bolt holes and you make sure there is no coolant in there. When you bring it back up you just push a little more papertowel through a little more then just chop off the wet part from the other end. This saved me lots of time cleaning ot the holes. Tomorow i will go buy the 12 point socket and try to see if autozone even carrys the oil Pressure sensor. (i dont think they do) If they have it i will put the manifold back on as well as the pasanger side header and hook up the y pipe. Finally double check to make sure all the **** is reconected say a short prayer and fire it up. Wish me luck
Old 11-12-2006, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

I know all three auto parts chain stores had the sensor for my LT1 engine. I would think you'll find it for the LS1 as well.

This has been a very timely thread for me as I just bought the gm ls6 h/c kit for my 01 and received it this last friday. I can't tell everyone how grateful I am for contributing to the thread. The link to the ls1-howto page is invaluable.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:50 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

dude if you have an advanced auto by you, call them. I get all my parts through them now. I have never had to wait more than 24 hours for any ls1 parts from them.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found the sensor at autozone, kragen but they are special order. I found a place called clarks auto and they have it in stock and im going to pick it up today sometime as soon as i can find a ride. Thanks
Old 11-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

QUICK NOTE!

While installing your intake or taking it off I just stick a tiny peice of tape on the back four intake manifold bolts. It holds them up until your ready just peel tape off and voila, bolts fall down.

good luck, I'm doing H/C pretty soon also.............
Old 11-12-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

or use finger clamps or clothes pins
Old 11-12-2006, 08:39 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by oange ss
or use finger clamps or clothes pins
great idea i always used the tape but always great to hear different things
Old 11-12-2006, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

I use some decent size vacuum tubing and sliced it into about 1" peices and sliced those down the middle and use those to support the bolts then pop them off when you want to tighten them down.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I finally finished. First i would like to thank rob94hawk 319 for coming up and helping with the cam and head install. Alos Demonbird for all his advice and assistance. As well as Predatorz for awnsering all my questions and recomendations. And finally to everyone on ls1tech.com everyone has been great i could not have done it with out you. But the car sounds amazing and so far runs great. I can feel allot of power but was cautious on my first drive not taking it over 3000 rpms. I can wait until the next few heat cycles so i can step on it. thanks again everyone
Old 11-13-2006, 06:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Took me 14months to put m motor together and back in the car (long story), but it sure feels great when you first fire it up doesn't it heh
Old 11-13-2006, 07:06 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yak
take the fans off the radiator first. it makes it a lot easier for me. I have pulled my radiator by myself, not easy, but it's possible. it makes it a lot easyier to pull the heads w/o the radiator in because you can just stand inside the chassis and not kill your back.
that is what makes it suck. Should be called PITB.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Long Beach
I finally finished. First i would like to thank rob94hawk 319 for coming up and helping with the cam and head install. Alos Demonbird for all his advice and assistance. As well as Predatorz for awnsering all my questions and recomendations. And finally to everyone on ls1tech.com everyone has been great i could not have done it with out you. But the car sounds amazing and so far runs great. I can feel allot of power but was cautious on my first drive not taking it over 3000 rpms. I can wait until the next few heat cycles so i can step on it. thanks again everyone
Hi Long Beach and thanks for creating the thread and the follow up but don't let the story end here. Please post what you will be doing regarding tuning for your new installation and how all of that turns out.

The fellow I bought my kit from recommends chromemoly pushrods and a tune.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

what pushrods and rockers did you use???
Old 11-13-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used stock rockers and mti 7.4 pushrods. I plan on getting a tune the first week of january. I would post up some sound clips for everyone to hear but dont have a video camera or anything. Trust me it sounds sweet and once i fired it up and nothing broke i felt so good about myself. There is not too much better than working on your car and all that hard work pays off. Thanks again
Old 11-14-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there anything i should do after a few days of driving? Examples is check torque on head bolts, rockers, headers. Just being cautious i dont want a leak or even worse have a rocker come loose and destroying something.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

I think the science of torque specs is to keep the fastener in place indefinitely but I'm sure there are exceptions. Re-torquing actually changes the applied torque factor. I know this from validated aircraft component assembly procedures. If you followed the guideline from the how-to then I think you will be fine. Just one opinion....
Old 11-14-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

i am hoping to start mine tonight i have been waiting on a set of valve covers. i should have them today...so now its on lol. congrats on finishing the project.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Teching In

hey LBC i am in Carson , how much would you charge to install my cam ? lol seriously though yeah !
Old 11-15-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by orbee
hey LBC i am in Carson , how much would you charge to install my cam ? lol seriously though yeah !
I could help you out if you would like. I dont think im experienced enough to charge you to do it. If you would like contact Rob 94Hawk 319 at overkill motorsports in san diego he has the cheapest labor i have heard of. Plus he is a nice guy and likes to work on ls1's and should have it done in a few hours.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:02 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Long Beach
And finally to everyone on ls1tech.com everyone has been great i could not have done it with out you.

best ls1 site on the web A-MEN

Quick Reply: H/C install underway.