Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What other problems can bad rings cause?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 06:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What other problems can bad rings cause?

My 99 SS consumes a quart of oil every 500-1000 miles. I have 18000 miles on it, and am trying to get the dealer to install the new rings that cure the ring flutter problem. I have installed the stevenmh PCV mod, and it did not cure the problem- so I assume it is the rings. Something else I have noticed is the oil gets very dark between oil changes- and I change the oil faithfully every 3000 miles. I have not tried a different brand or weight of oil (use Mobil 1 5W-30). The car consumed NO OIL the first 10-12000 miles- it just started the last couple oil changes. The car also acts like it has a vacuum leak (high idle, SES light)- could this somehow be related to the rings?
Old 11-21-2001, 08:47 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: What other problems can bad rings cause?

Worn rings that allow blow-by can also foul your O2 sensors and ruin your catalytic converters. You might consider getting GM to replace those items if they do swap your rings out.

As for the idle speed, not sure on that one. As for the SES light, do you have access to an AutoTap so you can see what code was set? That would be the most helpful way to figure the SES out.

You might also consider going with a heavier weight oil to help reduce oil consumption as a temporary fix.

Tony
Old 11-21-2001, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What other problems can bad rings cause?

The SES light is "high idle speed". I am trying to rule out all possible sources of a vacuum leak (haven't found one yet). The Haynes manual mentions that worn rings can affect vacuum, as well as hurting compression- but I haven't heard of anyone else with the oil consumption problems complaining about a high idle. Has anyone else experienced the two in combination?