Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to reuse crank bolt on crank pulley install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Possible to reuse crank bolt on crank pulley install?

[quote]just me (Steve),
I don't feel that a harmonic balancer type pulley should ever pull a blower. Not only can the pulley turn on the shaft or its molded rubber but it can be positioned or pushed out of balance if the belt is over tightened.
<hr></blockquote>
Larry,I totally agree and that is not how the Vortech or ati kits run the blowers.
The Vortech kit uses an ATI Superdamper.
The superdamper is drilled and tapped in the center hub to fit a 8" 8 rib blower pulley to drive the blower. The blower is not driven off the outer damper hub.
The ATI supercharger kit(not the same as ATI the makers of the Super damper) drives the blower with an add on pulley to the stock damper.
Both systems have had problems with crank bolts coming loose though.
The only kit running the blower off the damper is the powerdyne I believe.
But it uses such low boost and spins the blower with the backside of the belt I don't think it could load the pulley enough to cause a problem.

Steve
Old 11-29-2001, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I compared a well used (the original stock bolt plus one more use) bolt to a new one and there was about a 1/2 mm difference in length. If you tried to hold the thread together, it wouldnt completely interlock the length of the bolt.

*SO*

Some stretch occurs.
Wether the stretch is designed for or not, I cant say.

But Ive been using a new bolt each time ever since. And once it was so loose it came off with my fingers 8-/

chris

[ November 29, 2001: Message edited by: Visceral ]</p>
Old 02-04-2002, 03:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote]Originally posted by Visceral:
<strong>I compared a well used (the original stock bolt plus one more use) bolt to a new one and there was about a 1/2 mm difference in length. If you tried to hold the thread together, it wouldnt completely interlock the length of the bolt.

*SO*

Some stretch occurs.
Wether the stretch is designed for or not, I cant say.

But Ive been using a new bolt each time ever since. And once it was so loose it came off with my fingers 8-/

chris

[ November 29, 2001: Message edited by: Visceral ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Interesting to read these last couple of threads my harmonic balancer came off at the track (as per murphy's law first time there).

Our Holden vortech kits run from the power steering pulley, debating whether to change this at the moment
Old 10-26-2023, 04:11 PM
SRB
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroCain
We went a head and got the $3 bolt for our pulley we just ordered. I think GM requires it to be changed.
$3 bucks... I had to laugh at the because now they are $21 bucks, twenty two years later.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (10-26-2023)

Quick Reply: Possible to reuse crank bolt on crank pulley install?