Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry, another lifter tick ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry, another lifter tick ?

I've noticed a ticking coming from the engine, about half crank speed I would guesstimate, that varies linearly with the engine speed and is noticable all the way through the rev range. It never goes away, even after the car is warm. It is hard to hear it in the engine bay, but is audible when in the car.

My engine is only about 6-7k old, as a replacement was dropped in about a year ago. Is it possible that I've got a lifter bad already? I haven't taken anything apart yet to check, but I did look at the plug wires and none of them had any soot that would suggest anything was loose.

What will happen if I continue to drive with this noise? I really don't have the $ to fix something like this now but it's my daily driver.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2006, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after a year of searching i think I finally found mine......

The $%^$#&%^#&^%ing injectors. the o rings and the plastic discs on the tips where they fit down into the manifold.

I spent over $3500 paying someone to replace the valvetrain on a 97 w/ 806 perrimmeter bolt heads.

Still ticked. Should have baught new heads for thaat price.

Then the other day I was installing some headers and had to get to the back of the manifold. I took off the fuel injector rack and looked at the tip of the injectors, all of the plastic injector to manifold seating disks were cracked, some in cases with large plastic gaps where the disks had broken off.

It explains why the car sounded like it was going to die as those pieces of plastic got chewed up in the heads. But after they had passed, worked ok, just with a ticking.

I cant believe the guy who broke the car down to install the lifters didn't see it, or didn't mention it.

Just shows you there's no substitute to doing it yourself. For the price of the labor last time, $2300, I'm getting new ported heads, and a textraila clutch and making sure its done right. Obviously NEW INJECTORS TOO!!
Old 11-19-2006, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

re torque the spark plugs too.

put your ear to the end of a screw driver and touch the tip to different parts of the engine while its running to see if you can find the area where its the loudest. this might get you in the right area. be careful dont let anything around our neck dangle down and get pulled into a pully.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Teching In

I tried the screwdriver method, and the loudest ticking I could hear was coming from the fuel rail? Is this normal. I would imagine it is not that abnormal, but I didn't hear any loud metal-metal ticking when on the head or valve covers.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with dmiz0420 I had the same problem with my injectors, and I had a work truck (ford V10) that made the sound when the sparkplugs lossened up.
just my .02
Old 11-20-2006, 05:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dmiz0420
after a year of searching i think I finally found mine......

The $%^$#&%^#&^%ing injectors. the o rings and the plastic discs on the tips where they fit down into the manifold.

I spent over $3500 paying someone to replace the valvetrain on a 97 w/ 806 perrimmeter bolt heads.

Still ticked. Should have baught new heads for thaat price.

Then the other day I was installing some headers and had to get to the back of the manifold. I took off the fuel injector rack and looked at the tip of the injectors, all of the plastic injector to manifold seating disks were cracked, some in cases with large plastic gaps where the disks had broken off.

It explains why the car sounded like it was going to die as those pieces of plastic got chewed up in the heads. But after they had passed, worked ok, just with a ticking.

I cant believe the guy who broke the car down to install the lifters didn't see it, or didn't mention it.

Just shows you there's no substitute to doing it yourself. For the price of the labor last time, $2300, I'm getting new ported heads, and a textraila clutch and making sure its done right. Obviously NEW INJECTORS TOO!!
Any photo's of the parts you are talking about?

Also, was it startup only or all the time? I have a tick for a few minutes at startup then it quiets down. Oil pressure is great and lifters are new so your findings are interesting to say the least.