Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will 6.0 heads work on LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cop Car
yes, that would work if you are just doing rod bolts.

however, he is going to do heads and a cam. taking the intake off of these cars is enough of a hastle. removing heads in the car is just plain stupid. there have been many people who have stripped out head bolts and/or broken them off. it is 2billion times easier to work on the engine out of the car.
i disagree.i've swapped out my heads twice.both times in the car.the intake actually comes off easy,i thought.not everybody has the tools and or the space to drop the motor.as far as people stripping the bolts out or breaking them off,they must be doing something wrong.not cleaning out the bolt holes properly is one thing that comes to mind.if i had a hoist then hell yeah i would drop the motor.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 66deuce
i disagree.i've swapped out my heads twice.both times in the car.the intake actually comes off easy,i thought.not everybody has the tools and or the space to drop the motor.as far as people stripping the bolts out or breaking them off,they must be doing something wrong.not cleaning out the bolt holes properly is one thing that comes to mind.if i had a hoist then hell yeah i would drop the motor.
Ill agree here. Unless youre taking the motor out for other reasons, no reason to pull it just to swap heads. IMO there way more to go wrong pulling the motor and could go wrong on a H/C swap.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
IMO there way more to go wrong pulling the motor and could go wrong on a H/C swap.
good point.it's really not that bad doing it in the car,but then again i'm use to working in tight spaces under the hood of bus chassis at work..
Old 11-22-2006, 01:53 PM
10 Second Club

1. you should replace rodbolts in all LS1s. this would mean you would have to drop the k member anyways. why not just do heads, cam, stall, rod bolts etc out of the car? its sooooo much easier. plus your back wont kill you from you bending over a fender.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cop Car
1. you should replace rodbolts in all LS1s. this would mean you would have to drop the k member anyways. why not just do heads, cam, stall, rod bolts etc out of the car? its sooooo much easier. plus your back wont kill you from you bending over a fender.
Thats a good point. With a 2000 or earlier car, spinning the cam up to the powerband becomes pretty dangerous. The 2001+ motors are far stouter and will handle more RPM. Aftermarket rod bolts are still the best option, although these can be done in the car too. However its probably a crapshoot over whether its easeri to drop teh k member or pull the motor.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NassyVette
For sale section, should be able to find a pair for around $200 if you're patient.

For full heads? Are you serious? I mean, my build is a ways off but if I could get a set of pulloffs for that price now I'd jump all over it.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScottyDoesntKnow
For full heads? Are you serious? I mean, my build is a ways off but if I could get a set of pulloffs for that price now I'd jump all over it.
Yup, you'll find them for about that much if you look around enough.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

is it worth pulling pulling the motor on a gto to install better rod bolts? i have access to a lift so i was just wondering caus i'm fixing to do heads(not sure which ones) and a cam package(MS4)