Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breather=Unmetered Air !!??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well...as soon as my shipment of Amsoil gets here, I'll be changing my oil and sending off a sample for analysis. This will be my first full oil change interval with this setup, so I'll see what happens. If it comes back dirty with indications that it is the breather, it'll take a hike.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the pvc valve or restrictor meters the air. I run a breather and pvc. No noticable changes to AFR.
Many local FI people run the same setup with no issues
Old 11-25-2006, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mvvette97
Hey man, i was reading about that on the CF from SleeperC5. So i took mine off and put the cap back on. I think you guys mat be correct. Makes sence anyway
Yea SleeperC5 PM'd me and wanted to set up like I was. And after a few messages I suggested that he start that post to get some other opinions.

So exactly how are you setup now ?????

DH

Last edited by dirty howie; 11-25-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dirty howie
Yea SleeperC5 PM'd me and wanted to set up like I was. And after a few messages I suggested that he start that post to get some other opinions.

So exactly how are you setup now ?????

DH
I was just like him but after what i was reading I just took off the breather cap and put the stock cap on. I also am running a catch can.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I personally don't see how any extra air could be getting in to my engine in any way, shape or form...the PCV is pulling from the valley, and the breather vents whatever is in the passenger side head.
That is my question: HOW does air get from the breather to the combustion chamber????

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I have no fresh air line going to my TB, so I'm pretty sure there is no way unmetered air could be getting in the engine.
Well with the fresh air line hooked that air is mettered...right??

BTW: Nice choice of wheels ?

DH
Old 11-25-2006, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

the pcv pulls a vacuum on the crankcase. The breather lets the pcv pull air in through the breather then it ends up in the intake
Old 11-25-2006, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Meents, the valley and both heads all have passages venting into one another so the whole motor shares the same pressures. Youre intake vacuum is pulling air from teh valley cover which in turn is pulling outside air in through the breather. Like you said, its bypassing the MAF, but not that big a deal for you since youre running SD. Its also bypassing the IAC valve, so if youre counts are already low, this may bottom you out.

Also of note, running breathers will not avtively evacuate the fumes out of your crankcase like a PCV will. These fumes contaminate your oil and dramaticaly shorten your oil life. Thats why I went back to a PCV setup after trying breathers.
THERE!!!! Thank You!!!!!!

Since I'm not too familiar with the workings of heads etc I didn't know that there are passeges. But I guess there must be for oil to get from oil pan to springs. Can you tell me the exact passages name or the exact route the air would take???

DH
Old 11-25-2006, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Thank you everybody for helping me understan this. I definately think the majority thinks that unmettered air will get in if there is a PCV system and a breather in place of fresh air line from behind the MAF. There seems to be many running the breather without issue and maybe depending on the setup may not be a significant amount of air.

For what its worth I have decided to take my breather off and run the passenger vent line back to the air coupler (I have LS2 TB) but put a filter in the line. I also have one of these in addition to my AMW can in the PCV line. I customized the Campbell/Housefield air filter as you can see in the picture below. The oiled air passes down thru 3/8 hose that is fitted to the internal nipple (where the white stone filter used to be). Then it has to wick thru the mesh material. And finally has to exit the top.

DH
Old 11-26-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Just squeeze the pcv line closed with pliers while logging and see if your iac counts change.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

I have a question, my uncle has a 400 carberated engine stroked running alcohol making about 650 hp. He just had a breather on the valve covers but he noticed his dipstick would be stuck out a bit. So installed the crankcase evacuation setup with the hoses that run down to the headers. After that the dipstick would stay in. Im guessing that it relieved pressure from the bottom end?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

the fittings in the collectors create a venturi effect which pulls a vacuum in the engine.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Restricted User

I am running a AMW catch can inbetween the valve covers "No PCV valve" ( the valve covers are T ed together To the catch can) and than the other line is ran down to the Procharger D1-sc supercharger hat .

I am also running a oil cap breather because i have forced induction , so from what i can see on my set up , is that i
dont think i have any unmetered air , because the catch can lines still run to the intake hat , which is befor the MAF sensor.

I have also seen valve cover breathers with a port , where the port will have a line that will run back to the intake, in my setup it would also to the catch can than back to the intake hat befor the MAF sensor,

I think the breather is made by Earl's , they were about $40 and they are built very well, they seporate the oil and oil vaper and relieve Pressuse, from the crank case , (Oil separotor built into it) but not into the atmosphere , then the port gets a 3/8 line or so conected to it and then you can tap the other end to your catch can or PCV system.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:13 PM
10 Second Club

If I just have a breather where the oil cap goes and have not touched the pcv....does unmetered air get in and have the chance of throwing a false lean....?

Last edited by AFASTYZFR1; 05-31-2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
If I just have a breather where the oil cap goes and have not touched the pcv....does unmetered air get in and have the chance of throwing a false lean....?
Yes, if you go with the breather like I did, then you have to cap the rest of the pcv system off. I do not believe it would be a false lean, it would actually run lean, there wouldn't be enough fuel for the air sneaking in.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I'm having a lean issue that I can't quite seem to figure out and I'm wondering if you guys have shed light on my problem. I have an LS6 valley cover and I've run a catch can, with PCV between can and valley cover, the other side of the catch can runs to the fitting on the neck of the intake. I plugged off all of the lines from the TB and on the valve covers. I run a breather in the passenger side valve cover.

So, if I'm getting this right, unmetered air is being pulled into the engine through the breather, traveling through the valley cover, through the catch can, and into the intake?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

IF you run a breather, you must have all other ports plugged that were previously used as the closed pcv system. You cannot run a breather and a catch can. The breather opens the pcv system.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been running the LS6 valley cover and LS6 PCV with a breather in the passenger side valve cover now for over a year and have had no issues with it running lean or with oil in the intake manifold..the valve covers have no connections to the PCV system ..

The next thing I do to clean up in engine bay is to get rid of the evap system and go to speed density tuning..to me less is better..

Last edited by slt200mph; 05-31-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
IF you run a breather, you must have all other ports plugged that were previously used as the closed pcv system. You cannot run a breather and a catch can. The breather opens the pcv system.
So, to "fix" my setup, I'd remove the breather from the valve cover and then remove the PCV valve between my catch can and intake? I have all of the PCV connections blocked off on the valve covers and tb.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slt200mph
[IMG]I have been running the LS6 valley cover and LS6 PVC with a breather in the passenger side valve cover now for over a year and have had no issues with it running lean or with oil in the intake manifold..the valve covers have no connections to the PVC system ..
The next thing I do to clean up in engine bay is to get rid of the evap system and go to speed density tuning..to me less is better..
Thats because there isn't a pvc system on our cars. There is a PCV system though. And it does effect it whether you are aware of it or not. It stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation.

You need either or. A PCV System or a breather.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Thats because there isn't a pvc system on our cars. There is a PCV system though. And it does effect it whether you are aware of it or not. It stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation.

You need either or. A PCV System or a breather.
Sorry for the typo ****

Quick Reply: Breather=Unmetered Air !!??