Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help....stumbleing idle at stop(long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help....stumbleing idle at stop(long)

Haveing some real bad idle quality issues,and was hopeing you guys could shed some light.

A little background first. After the headers/ intake/cam,install I had a little idle hunt working in closed loop until the motor warmed up, and the occasional PO300 code per a borrowed atap. No biggie. Installed the heads and all was well for a few weeks until about a week ago when it started not wanting to idle at a stop.

After comeing to a stop motor idles rock steady for about one minute, then stumbles badly almost stalling, then recovers with a surge to about 1200 r's or so before comeing back down to 850/900 r's, idles fine for another minute, and then will stumble again.

Originally thought this was a vacuum issue,and have checked all vacuum connections,cleaned/ inspected IAC motor/pintel/O-ring,cleaned/re-torque'd TB,have done the drill out mod on the TB blade(1/4"),and even raised the idle just to see if it still did this w/ more A/F going into the intake. Nothing has eliminated the prob.

Would a pre-cat O2 leak/sensor contamination cause this? I did use some antiseize on the
O2's,and thinking they've either backed themselves out enough to leak,or got some
anti seize jizz on the sensor?

Just don't know what to look at next. Don't have A-tap or Tech-1,so I'm kinda shooting in the
dark here. Am throwing a code,not sure what it is,but leaning toward my friend PO300. Also
running way rich at idle. Tried leaning out base w/the Maft but can't tell(smell)a difference.
Could the fact that it's running way rich possibly have contaminated the O2's, and/or could the fuel filter(stocker...38k miles) have anything to do w/it?

Seems like it has to be something simple, any ideas/advice where to look next?

TIA!
Mike B.
'00WS6/M-6
H/C/& the usual bolt ons
Old 12-13-2001, 01:52 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

Default Re: Help....stumbleing idle at stop(long)

If the car is surging up and down you might still need more air going in. Autotap your IAC counts at idle.
Old 12-13-2001, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Help....stumbleing idle at stop(long)

Thanx John...I'll try to get my hands on A-tap this weekend. Funny thing is that the C/I were installed prior to this latest headache for 8 mos. with no real probs other than PO300 from time to time. Heads have been on for a month w/out a prob until last week. Wondering if it's possible the IAC motor went stupid, and what "should" the IAC count be?

Anybody in the metro ATL. area have A-tap they're willing to help out with?

Thanks....
Mike B.
'00WS6