Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed oil and found metal sludge on magnet

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Changed oil and found metal sludge on magnet

I done a cam swap about 1500 or so miles ago. During that time I broke a set of 918s. Today when i changed oil I had just a little and I mean little bit of metal sludge on the magnet. No chunks or anything like that. Is this just from the new cam install or could it be from when the springs broke? It broke damn near all of them. The best way I can describe the way it looked is when I ran it between my fingers it was like a black paste. I know it is small filings because it was stuck to the magnet. I'm guessing it was from the normal break in and maybe when the springs broke. What do you think.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:48 PM
10 Second Club

Dont worry about it, mine was the same after the cam. Ive seen alittle every oil change and have had no engine problems.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much based on your description, but if you are concerned drop a sample at about 2,000 miles and send it in for analysis. I use Dyson analysis personally and Terry will give you feedback on what is going on and what to watch.

Once you open a motor, it will take a while to settle back down. My head change resulted in crappy oil analysis and then a subsequent one showed that things are settling down again.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I wouldn't worry too much based on your description, but if you are concerned drop a sample at about 2,000 miles and send it in for analysis. I use Dyson analysis personally and Terry will give you feedback on what is going on and what to watch.

Once you open a motor, it will take a while to settle back down. My head change resulted in crappy oil analysis and then a subsequent one showed that things are settling down again.
i was kinda thinking that since I did have the springs break also

Quick Reply: Changed oil and found metal sludge on magnet