Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone compare the volume of a 3.5" spintech vs a 3" cutout (or similar)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Can anyone compare the volume of a 3.5" spintech vs a 3" cutout (or similar)?

Hey guys,

Current exhaust setup:

Stock manifolds/cats, SLP y-pipe, 3" i-pipe w/ 3" cutout before the axle (goes into a dynomax ultra flow after the axle....for quiet operation when I close the cutout)

Future exhaust setup (this spring):

Minimum MAC mid-lengths, possibly Hooker LTs if they turn out to be good products. High flow cats, and 3.5" mufflex (spintech w/dual outlets).

Can anyone compare the loudness? Or possibly give me an idea? I will have a 3.5" cutout on the i-pipe of the mufflex too, but it will probably remain closed except for track duty. Think the future setup'll be louder than my current? Right now it's pretty loud inside the car (since the cutout exits under the body) and is definitely not unbearable...I run with it open 24/7 for the past few months. I don't really want to go much louder though, for fear of cops and so forth.

Maybe I'll just run the 3.5" cutout uncapped all the time anyway. But I'd like to hear if anyone has any experienc with the 3.5" mufflex setup.

Stock engine btw, just intake/exhaust/tuning stuff. Runs only high 106s through an A4 and street tires.

Dope
Old 12-20-2001, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can anyone compare the volume of a 3.5" spintech vs a 3" cutout (or similar)?

The Mufflex will be a good deal quieter than the cutout. I have the 3.5" with the Flowmaster (which is a little louder than the Spintech) and its still quieter than a cutout or loudmouth exhaust.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:23 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Can anyone compare the volume of a 3.5" spintech vs a 3" cutout (or similar)?

I was running the Mufflex 3.5" Spintech dual-exit system with the solid roller setup. I loved the way the car sounded through the Mufflex. However, the muffler didn't flow as well I thought it should. I put a 3.5" cutout on the car for track use and I am very glad I did. The car was MUCH louder with the cutout open, but it did offer a substantial hp/tq increase with that setup. On a stock motored car, I don't think it will hurt you as much. Also, get the system welded!! Mine moved on me alot, but I sold it before I got it welded.

Jason