Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will a little spilled Coolant in the cylinders do?...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What will a little spilled Coolant in the cylinders do?...

Guys,

I spilled some coolant into my cylinders from not draining it properly from the top of motor while changing head gaskets....

Would the pistons/rings have kept the excess from going further down into the block...or am I screwed? What has anyone else experienced after doing something like this?....What can I do to clear it out of the block if there is some in there? ..flush the oil a couple times? Use Seafoam or something?

Stroker2112
Old 12-01-2006, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

how much is some?

I did the same thing cause I could'nt get to the drain plug on the heads. so I cleaned up as soon as heads came off. covered all other openings and blow air into each cyl. (watch eye's) put some oil in each by hand, spread around walls. rotated crank after cam install is done so u wont messup timing marks. if u wiped it after heads came off oil should be good for 1 firup till warm then change oil before hitting the streets. u should be good but (some ) is only determined by u. like I said I did the same thing. did as I discribed above and now have have put almost 10k miles on it since head.cam swap. 231/237 . 589/.595 lift 112lsa . ls6 patriot heads, 59cc. 418rwhp/389rwtq, m6
good luck

cowboysfan
Old 12-01-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol, youre fine! vacuum out any puddles, dry with a paper towel and coat with oil to keep it from rusting up. Youll be doing an oil change shortly after you put the motor back togather anyway, right?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cowboysfan and GuitsBoy,

Thanks for the reassurance.....The last thing I want to do is ruin what I've been working on (new 408cid) for the past 2 months (not to mention the $$$) without checking this site first....this forum is the best. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Stroker2112
Old 12-01-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

n/p and best of luck with your buildup.

Just watch out for coolant spilled into the bolt holes. I like to vacuum it out with a drinking straw. Other people like to clean them out with twisted bits of paper towels. Those bolt holes are blind and torquing a bolt into them could hydo-lock and crack the block.

Quick Reply: What will a little spilled Coolant in the cylinders do?...