Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamax SS Ultra Flow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamax SS Ultra Flow?

Does anyone have the part number for the Dynomax SS muffler? I can only find the #17227 which is the welded aluminzed.

Den
Old 12-28-2001, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Dynamax SS Ultra Flow?

This is a real nice muffler that has great flow and tone and is just at the edge of being a little too loud. I have the SS model from
http://www.a-1performance.com/
and they have an esy to use website.
Old 12-28-2001, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

The stainless UltraFlo is the worst flowing of the three crossflow mufflers Walker makes for the fbodies. In terms of flow the best is the Race Welded UltraFlo, followed by turbo style muffler (same one sold in the kits), and then the stainless UltraFlo. From memory the SS flows about 60% of the Race Welded muffler. Walker has a very helpful tollfree number which can give you the cfm for each muffler and if you request they may fax you a cross section of each muffler.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:40 PM
Banned

Torqued,

Really? I thought both mufflers were the same expect one was made of stainless and the other was aluminized. Dynomax claims they are both straight through design. Doesn't the stainless only have a 2 1/2" inlet? Maybe thats why it doesn't flow as good.
Old 12-29-2001, 12:00 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

You can go to dynomax.com and download .pdf files of the Ultraflow SS or welded.
I *think* the 17266 is the one you want for stock exhaust. Check it out.
Old 12-29-2001, 12:16 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

FWIW I just bought a Dynomax Ultra Flo Welded for my application. I have a 4" Mufflex system on my car with a Flowmaster muffler. This Dynomax is 6" in diameter, and it's straight thru. I hope to have it on tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2001, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont know the flow data on the Ultra Flow SS muf, but my old daily driver 89 TTA went 11.87 @114 (no nitrous) with that muf. And I can tell you, its made of 304 stainless and polished to a mirror finish. [NO] 2000 rpm droan either...
BYW... The muf I am refering to is a direct replacement muff... 1 inlet with 2 outlets

[ December 29, 2001: Message edited by: Kimchee and Rice ]</p>
Old 12-29-2001, 01:43 AM
Staging Lane

We are talking about 3 different mufflers. Mine is not a dual out cross flow -- IMO that is just for looks, flows badly, and it weighs more. I am talking about a single-in and single-out with 3" cores all the way through, in SS, and is I think called a turbo-max. Also, John in Chicago is talking about a straight-thru race-muffler, but mine makes 2 internal S-turns with curve-pipe deflectors and is a street type muffler.
Old 12-29-2001, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

[quote]Originally posted by 02BlackWS6:
<strong>Torqued,

Really? I thought both mufflers were the same expect one was made of stainless and the other was aluminized. Dynomax claims they are both straight through design. Doesn't the stainless only have a 2 1/2" inlet? Maybe thats why it doesn't flow as good.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The blueprints showed the SS muffler having several 90 degree bends. With the race welded muffler I could see straight through. The race welded path is like a 'y' internally with the bottom being the inlet and the upper right being the drivers side outlet. Internally the muffler is 3in, it necks down to 2 1/2 outside the muffler.
Old 12-29-2001, 03:25 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

Mine is a 6" diameter, round welded muffler, with a 4" inlet/outlet. Straight thru.

Car sounds a bit more old school, and I think at this point I would see very minimal gains running cutouts.
Old 12-31-2001, 04:17 AM
Banned

Well i have a new Ultra Flow welded i bought last year but never installed it. I don't really like the fact it's not stainless. But i do know it flows a lot. I just bought a used SLP dual/dual system from someone. It's heavy as ****. So i'm not sure now what muffler i want to use. Prostock...its a shame i didn't know u were looking to buy a Ultra Flow. I would have sold it to ya cheap. Well maybe i'll just use it and not use the SLP system. Thanks guys for all your input.

Den

Quick Reply: Dynamax SS Ultra Flow?