Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete Newbie still trying to figure out Headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002 | 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Default Complete Newbie still trying to figure out Headers

Hey guys...I'm a newbie when it comes to cars in general...esp. the ls1. However, I'm trying to find out if there is such thing as a street legal setup with long tube headers. In other words can you get a setup that keeps cats in the stock place as still have LT. If not what do you folks in Connecticut area (or any areas w/sniffer AND visual tests do?) I'm assuming that if there are at least cats SOMEWHERE I could play dumb. Also the car wouldn't have heads/cam just the basic stuff. Any idea? Do you guys put stock stuff back on?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2002 | 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Complete Newbie still trying to figure out Headers

Just find a person who will pass you on smog. 99.9% of the time the cars will pass the sniffer test with long tubes if they are running cats. Its the visual part that they fail you on, you cannot move/replace cats unless they are defective BEFORE 50,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. After that you can replace them with new cats, but cannot move them from their original location. You can go find a small rinky-dink shop and offer a 6 pack and 20-50 dollars and they would pass you no prob. I even think its worth 100 bux for them to pass you, 100/2 years = $5 a month to have whatever exhaust you want on your car..thats definatly worth it for me.