Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket parts on new DOD/AFM engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Aftermarket parts on new DOD/AFM engines

Can aftermarket parts be used on the new engines that have DOD(Displacement On Demand) and AFM(Active Fuel Management)? I guess camshafts are out since they have special lobes on the 4 cylinders that employ the DOD function. An adjustable double row timing set probably won't fit since the phaser mounts on the cam drive sprocket where the double cam drive sprocket would be located. That leaves heads which are probably OK, but long tube header might be a problem since they have switched to Coil On Plug from the coil packs we are used to. Does anyone have knowledge or experience with these DOD/AFM motors with respect to using these type of aftermarket parts?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ttt...
Old 01-02-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I read an article in High Performance Chevy a few months ago. It was about a comapny making decent horse power with a modified DOD motor. They had developed there own computer system and I think they even put a cam in it. I will have to dig it up and read about it again.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I found the mag that I read the article in. It was in the November 07 issue of Super Chevy. The company in the article is even one of our sponsors Mast Motorsports. They have two cam options available in some pretty healthy grinds. It is a pretty interesting article in which they are building crate engines with this new technology. In regards to the timing chain I would say that is out but a vendor could most likely make one work if they created a cam sprocket that had the reluctor wheel on it. When they dynoed the motor it had long tubes so I think that is not an issue.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can mod anything if you got the money for it.