Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are all 2002 LS1 motors really LS6 blocks??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mramay
Nope, the LS6 is stronger and a major improvement is in oil handling in the bottom end. The LS6 has different casting pattern (bigger "windows") in the bottom to allow the oil to get out of the way of the rotating bits faster/easier. It was designed stronger since it has to handle an additional 100 HP.

I have the definitive book, but it's back at the house so I can't provide a specific quote. The design of the LS1 was completed around 1997 and the LS6 about three years later. Lots of more computer time to make it better, which is why that intake manifold is more efficient, etc. The book said that an LS1 can easily handle 530 HP with stock internals, but over that pistons, rods, and bolts should be changed (if I remember it right).
Umm.. no.. the LS6 block is slightly weaker. We're not making this stuff up. The LS6 improvements were in oiling. Both blocks will handle roughly the same HP, which is WAY over the 400 the LS6 makes. Just because it was made later does not make it stronger. Like I said, most builders won't sleeve an LS6 block because it has less material in certain areas (which allowed for the better oiling).

Here you go:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/562052-block-stronger-ls1-block-ls6-block.html
Old 12-21-2006, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nexvctm2001ss
I have an 01 SS that came with the ls6 block,ls6 camshaft and 241 heads from the factory.With a lid it laid down 330rwhp and 341rwtq nothing else touched.I agree with the above ls6 block gives you no more power just better bay 2 bay breathing.Correct me if Im wrong but I think 10-15% of 01-02 f-bodys received the ls6 block due to over production.
Ok, you very well could have the LS6 block, but you don't have an LS6 camshaft unless someone besides GM installed it. 241 heads are also the standard for the LS1, 243s would be the LS6 heads. My car made 321/331 lid only, so there's something for comparison.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Finite element design work along with a lot of thrashing engines to death (in a few cases, literally) on the dyno eventually resulted in the special LS6 block having both the bay-to-bay breathing windows and more overall strength than the LS1 block"

The above quote was taken from http://www.idavette.net/hib/ls6/page3.htm

mramay is right, the LS6 block is stronger...

Also, the LS6 block is found in '03 and '04 versions of the LS1...
Old 12-25-2006, 10:34 PM
Launching!

There was a small write up in GMHTP back in '03 explaining about the installation and id of the block. There were several publications concerning the evolution of the gen III block that produced the ls6, so I would refer to some of that information. It has been widely accepted that although the block has better bay to bay breathing and acclaimed structural advantages, that it did not produce a mentionable gain in hp in the fbodies.

I remember it was a big issue with several bouts on a few boards. Funny how this subject springs up now and then.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

OK, so how do I find out what the #on the block would say
to be an LS6 block?? THANKS ALL.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no measurable stregnth diffrences between either LS1 or 6 blocks. Each side has their arguments, but both amount to a pile of squat. Stock for stock, the LS6 will provide somewhat better oiling (probablly not measurable), and better crank case ventalation (due to the bay to bay breathing). The LS1 is better for sleeving due to the lack of the bay to bay breathing. So, whichever you plan on doing, is the way you should go with your block. Staying stock bore? The LS6 may be THE SLIGHTEST bit better. Plan on sleeving down the road? The LS1 is better.... FWIW, up to 15% of 01' F cars got the LS6, and 25% of 02 cars got them. All of this info has been drawn out many times on here and is hardly worth going through again. If you want to read more arguing on it, search.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
There's no measurable stregnth diffrences between either LS1 or 6 blocks. Each side has their arguments, but both amount to a pile of squat. Stock for stock, the LS6 will provide somewhat better oiling (probablly not measurable), and better crank case ventalation (due to the bay to bay breathing). The LS1 is better for sleeving due to the lack of the bay to bay breathing. So, whichever you plan on doing, is the way you should go with your block. Staying stock bore? The LS6 may be THE SLIGHTEST bit better. Plan on sleeving down the road? The LS1 is better.... FWIW, up to 15% of 01' F cars got the LS6, and 25% of 02 cars got them. All of this info has been drawn out many times on here and is hardly worth going through again. If you want to read more arguing on it, search.
Oh yeah?!? Well, I have an LS6 valley cover, and I smoke Vipers all day long!!!!111one!!

I love internet myths...