Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much timing is too much timing??? I can get 32 degrees at times..is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much timing is too much timing??? I can get 32 degrees at times..is this normal?

I hear that 28 degrees is the normal max for timing on an 01+ LS1 engine. Usually my car runs near that number except when I set my MAFT at +1 -3.

This seems to be a magical # for me and allows me to get as much as 32 degrees of timing (at 6400 rpm) with 0 knock retard!!

Normally my car generates around 28 degrees of timing where I shift at around 6000rpm.....but now I can get it to 30 degrees every time.

Is this normal or was my car running low on timing to begin with???

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: verbs ]

[ January 30, 2002: Message edited by: verbs ]</p>
Old 01-30-2002, 01:46 AM
TECH Addict

Default Re: How much timing is too much timing??? I can get 32 degrees at times..is this normal?

[quote]Originally posted by verbs:
<strong>I hear that 28 degrees is the normal max for timing. Usually my car runs near that number except when I set my MAFT at +1 -3.

This seems to be a magical # for me and allows me to get as much as 32 degrees of timing (at 6400 rpm) with 0 knock retard!!

Normally my car generates around 28 degrees of timing where I shift at around 6000rpm.....but now I can get it to 30 degrees every time.

Is this normal or was my car running low on timing to begin with???

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: verbs ]</strong><hr></blockquote>
If you are getting 0 knock retard then I would think that the car is fine.Its not missing or anything like that is it?Atap it and see whats going on inside if you have doubts.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: How much timing is too much timing??? I can get 32 degrees at times..is this normal?

28 is normal for a '98-'00. I definitely wouldn't call it low. 32 is a lot of timing, and it could be hurting you. I think it was "just me" that went slower by adding timing. It was around 28 or 29 degrees that was ideal for his car. You're leaning the car out on WOT with the MAFT set at -3, and the PCM is adding timing. I've personally never seen a PCM add this much timing without a HPP3, and even then, I've never seen over 31 degrees even with the HPP3. Have you ATapped or put the car on a wideband O2 on the dyno to know where your a/f ratio sits? The wideband, by far, is the best way to tune the car w/ the MAFT. ATap doesn't allow near as much fine-tuning since you can't see your exact a/f ratio. You can get the O2's in a general "area", but they're not always the most accurate. If you do ATap, watch and see at what RPM you're getting 32 degrees of timing.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

[quote]Originally posted by Trevor D:
<strong>Have you ATapped or put the car on a wideband O2 on the dyno to know where your a/f ratio sits? The wideband, by far, is the best way to tune the car w/ the MAFT. ATap doesn't allow near as much fine-tuning since you can't see your exact a/f ratio. You can get the O2's in a general "area", but they're not always the most accurate. If you do ATap, watch and see at what RPM you're getting 32 degrees of timing.</strong><hr></blockquote>I haven't had the chance to hit my car up on a dyno recently....right now my o2's are around .89 and .92.....one side is leaner than the other.

I get 0 KR. The only odd thing was that on the dyno my best #'s did come from running a little bit rich...more like .92 and .95 respectively on the o2's.

32 degrees is the extreme I hit at WOT at 6400rpm....I still hit 30.5 at 5800 or so which I think is good but I'm not too sure.....oh well...I'm gonna dyno Saturday and see what I come up with.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lately, since readjusting the MAFT for the 61 lbs of FP I see with the Boost-a-Pump, I see 32.5 degrees of max timing advance. I see a minumum of 29 degrees. I was seeing a max of about 29.5-30 before. Did this increase help me? No, in fact, I'm not so sure it didn't hurt me a little. Before I hit traps of mid 135s. Now I'm hitting only low to mid 134s. But, I'm not sure if this is due to the increased timing advance or not. The weather hasn't been as good lately and I've added a new set of slicks (being new they are taller and heavier.) These things could have made the difference. At the very least I don't think the extra timing advance helped.

It's my educated guess that about 30 degrees of timing advance is perfect for my engine. I think what is perfect for a given engine varies with volumetric efficiency, RPM, compression ratio, camshaft, displacement, rod to stroke ratio, type of fuel used, weather, and probably several other factors.

[ January 30, 2002: Message edited by: Colonel ]</p>
Old 01-31-2002, 12:47 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm gonna hit the dyno on Saturday, so I'll find out if the extra timing does really help.

Quick Reply: How much timing is too much timing??? I can get 32 degrees at times..is this normal?