Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damaged Cylinder Head! Need Some Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reminds me of cyphur's motor when a fuel line clip was lodged in the intake runner came loose. looked very similar but his just had more of it.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a similar problem with something getting into my head and trashing one chamber. I needed a valve job, hone on the cylenders and new intake valves cause whatever it was bent one. The gouges can be repaired, it'll get a light touch up to take the rough edges off, but since it was in the chamber, there shouldnt be any problem with the heads sealing again. I think you have cylender wall damage, but if you dont you're extremely lucky! To see that something rolled around in there doing that kinda damage to your head and not hurt the cylender wall is crazy!
Old 12-27-2006, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

When i looked at the cylinder walls i couldnt see any damage. Should i worried about the bottom end at all or is it all top end related? Someone asked to see the spark plug and this is the one that came out of the cylinder. Is this typical wear for a cylinder head with only 500 miles on it?
Attached Thumbnails Damaged Cylinder Head! Need Some Advice!-sparkplug1.jpg  
Old 12-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GO BABY GO
When i looked at the cylinder walls i couldnt see any damage. Should i worried about the bottom end at all or is it all top end related? Someone asked to see the spark plug and this is the one that came out of the cylinder. Is this typical wear for a cylinder head with only 500 miles on it?
your head problem is the direct cause of something going through your motor if the piston and cylender wall is not damaged then it is a top end problem nothing from the oiling system could get in
Old 12-27-2006, 04:50 PM
FormerVendor

Although these heads are around 2.5 years old, we will be glad to repair the damage to these for you at no charge. Give us a call and we will issue you a RA# to use for their return.

Just for the record, we have been doing aluminum head repair for approx. 20 years.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GO BABY GO
I'm not sure what you are referring to as far as wear. The soot and deposits in the chamber are fairly normal for pump fuel if that is what you mean. It looks like a foreign object found it's way through the inlet tract and into that cylinder. As suggested, check everything meticulously upstream to see if anything is missing.
Yes that and the oil filter was cut open (both not by me but the shop that did the work) and there was no metal shavings or anything abnormal.
Unfortunetly, you may find that the shop that did the work made an error in assembly. I think everything should be easily repairable, and Gunnar has already stepped up to the plate.

Best of Luck!
Old 12-27-2006, 05:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnar@Patriot
Although these heads are around 2.5 years old, we will be glad to repair the damage to these for you at no charge. Give us a call and we will issue you a RA# to use for their return.

Just for the record, we have been doing aluminum head repair for approx. 20 years.
That's one hell of an offer. Hats off to Patriot!
Old 12-27-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 95 Likes on 75 Posts

At least it did not do this...
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-27-2006, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

All the help is very much appreciated. Im a little questionable as to why i bought these heads from a sponsor this summer and they're 2 and a half years old. Even though thats not really an issue at this point.

Gunnar that is an extremely generous offer and I appreciate it very much. BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE on ls1tech hands down. Ill get in contact with you tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Damaged Cylinder Head! Need Some Advice!