Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vaccum ?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mcamarols1
F#CKKKK....im scared now!!!! are those 2.5 heads???? 243 castings???
I'd like to know also, as I was about to purchase a set of PRC's
Old 01-02-2007, 10:30 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although chances are it iddnt happen, I would take a good look at that piston incase some metal made it past the valve when it broke. The valve should have closed, but you never know. But you do know that a good amount of metal was spread through the crankcase. May not be bad at all, who knows. Better safe though.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:13 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by charlie c5
I have both valve covers off, and the driver's side is the only broken one. My issue is this happened with only 5 miles on the motor. I was still in the break-in mode. I haven't even thought about the 500 shot yet. I could imagine being at the top of the 1/4 @ 7500 RPMs on a 500 shot. That would suck. Dan Smallwood, yes this the srewy side. I'll be calling Texas Speed this morning. I know they'll take care of me... They want good publicity in GM High Tech and Corvette Fever Maagazines. I'm just worried about the other head.. If this one is thin, what about the other??..
IMO you should be very concerned about the other head as well. Maybe they had an inexperienced tech work on this set? At any rate, maybe you need a second, unbiased opinion to check them out, make sure too much material wasn’t removed in other areas as well.

BTW, that was a tough one to diagnose.. Finding something like this would have been my last guess (I don't think I've ever seen anything like it, but that doesn't mean much), my apologies. Of course that cylinder wasn't firing at all, but with that aggressive cam I guess it was difficult to diagnose a single cylinder issue.

Good luck, we are all looking forward to the future articles.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news, no, better then that, GREAT NEWS. I spoke with Jon fro Texas Speed. It seems there was an issue with a few sets of heade. "Casting #'s" There was a casting flaw. Fortunatly I am one of the last ones to have these heads. Since the issue came up, Texas Speed has replaced all of these heads with a newer biger and better head. This goes to show just how Texas Speed handles these kinds of issues.
As for the poss. damage in #7 cylinder, I am pulling the heads off right now. I'll keep you guys posted. My fingers, toes and hair are crossed hoping there is no or VERY LITTLE damage.... I have soo much invested in this project. I don't want to have to dish out another 5 or 10K to fix this issue. Texas Speed is helping with the heads, but I still have $300.00 head gaskets, plus my labor, and then I have to have these new heads drilled for 1/2" studs.....