Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coated bearings

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default coated bearings

anyone have experiance with coated bearing (rod and main) and tolerances? should it be tighter or what? i'm at the point now where it's time for me to measure and stuff just not sure how much tolerance i should run. thanks, ron
Old 12-29-2006, 02:04 PM
11Second Club

I did some research on this, and if you're talking about the Tri-Armor bearings from Clevite, they claim the coating thickness is .0003", so it's nothing to worry about. The coating is supposed to last, and if it doesn't for some reason it won't significantly change your clearance. I haven't heard anything bad about them yet, but I really haven't heard much at all.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

actually i'm talking about calico. i guess they actually grind the bearing down then add the coating so you can get within the gap you're looking for.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Coated bearings

Bearing clearance depends on the diameter of the crankshaft main and rod journals, the main bearing bore dimension in the block and the bore size in the con rods. Some manufacturers grind their cranks on the low end of the tolerance range and even under that size. So you need to be careful with sizing of bearings.

No one "grinds" bearings before coating that I am aware of. I use Calico bearings and have found that I usually need to get two sets of mains, one std. and one X (.001" oversize) to get the main bearing clearance correct with a stock sized crankshaft - not one of the smaller aftermarket cranks. That is with the block align honed to the low end of the main bearing bore size range for max. bearing crush.

Steve

Steve

Originally Posted by rons 00z
actually i'm talking about calico. i guess they actually grind the bearing down then add the coating so you can get within the gap you're looking for.
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 01-25-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks steve.